car rental near ft lauderdale port

lssg

As you disembark ALL the Car-Rental shuttles will be continously cruising the front of the terminal looking for "Pre-Reserved" Renters and "Walk-up" renters as well ... Just flag down your prefered company's shuttle

The actual rental locations are about 5-10 minutes away between the Cruise Terminal and the Airport... It Super Easy !!!

Srpilo

• 2 months later...
As you disembark ALL the Car-Rental shuttles will be continously cruising the front of the terminal looking for "Pre-Reserved" Renters and "Walk-up" renters as well ... Just flag down your prefered company's shuttle

The actual rental locations are about 5-10 minutes away between the Cruise Terminal and the Airport... It Super Easy !!!

Srpilo

I will be flying into FLL, so if I take the shuttle from the airport, I will be going to the same rental location that the port shuttles take cruise passengers to, right? The reason I am asking is because I plan to arrive FLL a few days prior to my cruise and I am planning on renting a car. I was wondering how I can get to the port from the rental location until I saw this thread. Can anyone confirm or refute this? Thanks in advance.

LAX

Yes... Port Everglades and FLL are adjacent to each other, they use the same rental car facilities, which are now located in a giant parking garage at the airport terminal rather than scattered around the property.

Sounds like what you'r really asking is if the car rental shuttle at the airport rental return will take you to the cruise port - the answer is yes. We've done this several times. Tell the driver when you get on. For most companies they use the same shuttles to to both, for some companies they have a seperate shuttle - probably depends on how busy aiport v. cruise pier traffic is. Usually they've used one shuttle for both making the airport terminal run first then going to the port so allow a few extra minuites for this.

I will be flying into FLL, so if I take the shuttle from the airport, I will be going to the same rental location that the port shuttles take cruise passengers to, right? The reason I am asking is because I plan to arrive FLL a few days prior to my cruise and I am planning on renting a car. I was wondering how I can get to the port from the rental location until I saw this thread. Can anyone confirm or refute this? Thanks in advance.

LAX

My situation is similiar. I want to stay in Miami after the cruise. So, I need to rent a car.

So, after I get off the cruise at port, I can get on a shuttle bus and it will

take me to the Rental office @ airport (not a location nearby). If that's the

case, it will be perfect as I can just return the car @ airport and go straight to the airport terminal.

Sounds like what you'r really asking is if the car rental shuttle at the airport rental return will take you to the cruise port - the answer is yes. We've done this several times. Tell the driver when you get on. For most companies they use the same shuttles to to both, for some companies they have a seperate shuttle - probably depends on how busy aiport v. cruise pier traffic is. Usually they've used one shuttle for both making the airport terminal run first then going to the port so allow a few extra minuites for this.

My situation is similiar. I want to stay in Miami after the cruise. So, I need to rent a car.

So, after I get off the cruise at port, I can get on a shuttle bus and it will

take me to the Rental office @ airport (not a location nearby). If that's the

case, it will be perfect as I can just return the car @ airport and go straight to the airport terminal.

We just did exactly that. Got off a cruise, got the shuttle that took us to the Rent a car place at the airport and then returned the car to the airport on the way home.

Also just an FYI always have a reservation before you get there I heard some people without reservatiions complaining that they wanted $80.00 for a one day rental.

• 1 month later...
We just did exactly that. Got off a cruise, got the shuttle that took us to the Rent a car place at the airport and then returned the car to the airport on the way home.

Also just an FYI always have a reservation before you get there I heard some people without reservatiions complaining that they wanted $80.00 for a one day rental.

Just a few questions: What time did you get off the ship and how long did the whole rental process take? What time was your flight out of FLL and how much time did you have with the car? We have a big Ford Excursion reserved for 6 of us and our luggage (hope we fit!) from Budget and wondering if it's worth the hassle. Our flight leaves at 6:25 p.m.

• 3 months later...

We are Hertz gold customers. We use the free shuttle at the port to get to their terminal. Very convenient.

We need to rent a car after we get off the caribbean princess, what car rental companies are near the port? Are there any that will shuttle you to get a car rental?

thanks

We are Hertz gold customers. We use the free shuttle at the port to get to their terminal. Very convenient.

I had a bad experience post-cruise today with Hertz. We needed a vehicle for a few hours to pass the time before our flight at 6:30. Warning: their shuttle vans do not transport from the Port Everglades to the airport. From the port, they take you to their downtown local edition site. Knowing this, I called them a week ago to tell them I needed a Ford Excursion for 6 of us and our luggage, and they said no problem, we'll have one waiting for you. Well, after arriving this morning to collect our SUV, there was in fact no vehicle waiting for us. I noticed a note written on a board in the room with our name, date of arrival, and the fact that we needed a special vehicle, and they still did not provide it on time. We ended up waiting 2 hours for the vehicle we needed. We were not the only ones. There were many other unhappy customers this morning who did not get a vehicle either. We are also Hertz Gold Club members, but a lot of good it did us. They have us a big break in the price, though, so I'll give them that much credit.

My advice to anyone who wants to rent from Hertz, do youself a favor and just get a taxi to the airport Hertz location. They will reimburse you for the taxi and probably have any car you want, especially if you reserve ahead of time, and don't deal with their local edition in FLL.

The problem isn't Hertz, it's the airport. FLL no longer allows any shuttles to operate in the airport, and all of the rental car companies offsite lots have been closed. ALL rental cars are now in the Car Rental Center, which is a large parking garage located in the middle of the airport terminals... If you plan on renting a car at Port Everglades reserve one at the FLL AIRPORT location, and then take a TAXI over there, forget any shuttles. FLL is adjacent to Port Everglades, less than 10 minutes away, and a $10 cab ride.

The problem isn't Hertz, it's the airport. FLL no longer allows any shuttles to operate in the airport, and all of the rental car companies offsite lots have been closed. ALL rental cars are now in the Car Rental Center, which is a large parking garage located in the middle of the airport terminals... If you plan on renting a car at Port Everglades reserve one at the FLL AIRPORT location, and then take a TAXI over there, forget any shuttles. FLL is adjacent to Port Everglades, less than 10 minutes away, and a $10 cab ride.

We fault Hertz for promising me a car and not making it available. If they could not have it available, they should have stated so when I reserved it a week ago. Then we would have been glad to take a taxi to the airport.

Well yeah, you're right about that, Hertz should have had what you reserved! There's no excuse for that! I guess I was referring more to the fact that they can't shuttle you to the airport location where they do have a lot more cars.

You are right, I meant the airport, my mistake entirely.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with Hertz at FLD, we always use them and have never had any trouble at all (which is why we use them exclusively). In fact, they bent over backwards for us and others during Hurricane Charley when visitors couldn't return rental cars until days later or even to the same place or state they were picked up.

I really hate hearing that you were treated that way by Hertz (and sorry you had to waste all that time waiting for a car that should have been waiting for you).

I had a bad experience post-cruise today with Hertz. We needed a vehicle for a few hours to pass the time before our flight at 6:30. Warning: their shuttle vans do not transport from the Port Everglades to the airport. From the port, they take you to their downtown local edition site. Knowing this, I called them a week ago to tell them I needed a Ford Excursion for 6 of us and our luggage, and they said no problem, we'll have one waiting for you. Well, after arriving this morning to collect our SUV, there was in fact no vehicle waiting for us. I noticed a note written on a board in the room with our name, date of arrival, and the fact that we needed a special vehicle, and they still did not provide it on time. We ended up waiting 2 hours for the vehicle we needed. We were not the only ones. There were many other unhappy customers this morning who did not get a vehicle either. We are also Hertz Gold Club members, but a lot of good it did us. They have us a big break in the price, though, so I'll give them that much credit.

My advice to anyone who wants to rent from Hertz, do youself a favor and just get a taxi to the airport Hertz location. They will reimburse you for the taxi and probably have any car you want, especially if you reserve ahead of time, and don't deal with their local edition in FLL.

I guess things have changed since I was there May 2004, which is when I last took the shuttle. Bummer, it was very convenient. (Sorry for the mistake about the port, I meant the airport).

It seems the new airport rental facility is confusing everyone. Since we are not familiar with the FLL area, we used the Hertz Neverlost GPS thingy to find our way back to the airport rental site and punched in the info for what the thing had listed as airport return. Well, it guided us to an old facility which has since closed, so Hertz hasn't even reprogrammed the units. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

If what you are saying is true (and why wouldn't it be?), the airport is creating a mess. We were in FLL in March of this year and went between the car rental center and cruise port by shuttle bus in both directions. If each family needs to take a taxi the number of vehicles will be overwhelming. It is barely more than walking distance, but there are toll booths and a highway crossing (so I would not suggest walking).

If you know, when did they make this change?

Archived