Best place for scuba diving on Western Carib itinerary?

traic73

Hi - we are on FOS in March and are looking for the best place to scuba dive...Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios or Cozumel? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

The Palancar reef/Cozumel is a wonderful experience. The fish, the turtles, the coral, the clarity. It is sad that over the past 2 decades the coral has been trimmed away by hurricanes, etc, but is still wonderful. Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman are very nice and I've snorkeled there, but no lovely wonders of the sea as at Cozumel, IMHO. If you take a taxi to the Palancar, there are showers, lockers and beer/food/drinks. it isn't far. I haven't been in about 10 years, but I loved it then. ;)

I've dove in all three. I'd say that either Grand Cayman or Cozumel would be your best bets - do both if you can. Ocho Rio is OK, but just not as good. If you have to limit it to one, it might depend on your dive experience. Cozumel is drift diving and is better for the more experienced diver since the current can sometimes be pretty strong.

In Cozumel, take a cab to Chankanaab Park. It is a Mexican national or provincial park, and admission id $16/pp (although you can get admission discount coupons online). It 's a beautiful place, the snorkeling is great, and they also have a pool, wildlife, and dolphin encounter, where you can swim with the dolphins. It;s very clean and safe, as well.

We have been trying to get to Grand Cayman, but the weather has not cooperated on our last two cruises. I have both read and heard that the thing to do is book an excursion that goes to Stingray City, a sand bar that has a large population of rays with which people can interact. They are not in an enclosure, but are used to people. You might check out the excursions offered through http://www.nativeway.com.

I am not familiar with the snorkeling in Ocho Rios. Have a great time!

Archived