Victory 3/29 Newbie cruiser overwhelmed and 2nd guessing!

happygirl33

Hello all, thank you for having this resource and community It is fabulous for those of us new to the waves. I have lurked, read, and become absolutely annoying to dh with regard to this cruise. Therefore, I seek outside input and opinion and would really appreciate the help.1. I originally booked cabin 8285. I could not get one of the cabins with the pull out couch and queen bed (what I wanted) because I do not have four in my travel party. Lo and behold due to the dear people on this site I checked back yesterday and found one of the coveted cabins available on the promenade deck #1064 for less money with the DP3 code. DH and I went to a friends wedding held on Carnival years ago. I called and the cabins were switched. I do not understand all of this 8c, 8a etc. On the wedding cruise we had portholes that's all I know. My issue did I make the good choice? DH says get the interior on the same deck and we can walk outside to smoke as it should be very close and we will be saving $600 (got the balcony to smoke). Yep, the loot would be nice ,as I have already spent it, that equates to free money in my mind. Are the interiors and balconies the same room one having the addition of the balcony? Or are there other differences? If so specifically what?Or should I switch down to the 6-cabins with balcony, as a few are available with the queen bed set-up and we will not be right by the pool. I like the 1064 location because of 6yr.old DD but after reading posts I am concerned. If the pool is frigid she will not swim, and there are some dissuading comments concerning fellow passengers from this particular port and their behavior around and in pool areas. I don't want drama on this cruise.2. My other issue (I am full of them, this relates to the cruise :) I have us booked every day for a full day at each port except Barbados. I am a hard core experience the place you are, stay in out of the way local hotels and homes meet the people. Not possible with DD as I have experienced some cool, and crazy situations while traveling and felt the cruise was the safest and best option for us. My issue I did book independant and feel great about the choices made, therefore the question going out to all of you experienced cruisers, did I book too much?Thank you for all of your help I really appreciate it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.:)

As I understand it, you originally booked an interior cabin, then switched to a balcony. Now you are questioning whether or not that was a good move. Well thats a tough one. I usually cruise interior rooms because I like to save money and cruise more often. Others like to spend a bunch on fewer, but more luxurious cruises.

I would say that if you intend to use the balcony frequently to smoke or just to look around, then yes it would be worth it for you. The interior cabins are a very good deal, but they are fairly small and you wont have a view. Since you were able to get the exact cabin set up that you desired, I say stick with it. You got lucky that one of them opened up, so as you said, just consider the money spent and have a great cruise. If you switch back, you'll be thinking about the "room that could have been" the entire time.

Whichever you decide, I hope it goes well for you! Be sure to stop in once you get back and tell us all how it went.

Stay with the balcony (in my opinion), you are doing a lot of planning to make sure this cruise is great and the bacony can only add to it . . . .just stay put. As far as drama by your room (due to proximity) . . . . I've been on many cruises and stayed in many different cabins (one right inside the purser's desk) and have never had any issues. I'd just stay where you are . . . .

About ports, if you like to experience a port, a tour is the way to go. I've always booked independant . . . .there is lots of talk about if you do it with Carnival the ship will wait for you but if you can read a watch and never push the timing, you're fine outside of Carnival. I'm not big on lines and the huge cattle call Carnival has on their tours . . . boarding big buses, etc. so independently is the only way I do it.

When we've done a cruise that is very port intensive (not too many sea days), it can get tiring doing tours in each port. BUT, it's the kind of tiring you like, you see a ton, you do a ton and it's exciting.

Hope this helps!

This cruise has NO sea days, so, to me, it's a total waste of money to pay for a balcony. Having all those ports to explore is going to take a much larger excursion budget than normal.

I won't book a balcony unless there are at least 3 sea days. Just cannot justify the difference in price.

Personally, I think this itinerary is WAY too much for a novice cruiser. All except San Juan and St Thomas are new ports for me, and I really like to see the ports.

But all-day excursions, every day, is going to be exhausting. I'm trying to schedule 1/2-day tours where possible and am avoiding the "activity" type excursions.

Plus, I'm flying in at noon on Saturday for a 10 pm Sunday sailing AND not flying home until Tuesday after we return early the next Sunday.

Hint: paragraphs are our friends. I just sort of skimmed your post because it was very difficult to read.

Anyway, I'd save the money and go with the inside cabin. But everyone has their own budget and their own priorities. My priority is to see as much as possible without wearing myself out too much and do it at a price that allows me to cruise again at the end of the year.

Thank you to everyone who has been nice and helpful. I apologize for the way the post ran on.

I am a novice at posting online messages also as if you couldn't tell :confused:

I was a bit confusing in the original post. I have always had a balcony booked. The difference was just in the set-up and ship level. DH almost had me talked into a downgrade.

I booked this cruise due to the lack of sea days; and as for the excursion budget I was and still am feeling darn good about the cost.Compared to what I spend checking things out when staying on island, I am way ahead of the game.

Forgive me if I am wrong but I thought the primary difference in traveling and cruising was the boat; and the parameters one has to operate within such as making it back to the port in time.

I like to see people thinking alike, I'm flying into San Juan and staying at a little place I found on Cristo, for 3 nights prior to the cruise and one after.

Who knows I may find a great spot for a solid 7 day land, or I may decide I like this for the convenience cruising provides and book another. No matter I'm scheduled for another 7 day WDW in August and I'm a 3 vacations a year happy happy girl.

I was and still am looking for advice regarding the excursions to all who have experienced doing this with a six year old whose experience is limited to seven days of non-stop WDW.

This cruise has NO sea days, so, to me, it's a total waste of money to pay for a balcony. Having all those ports to explore is going to take a much larger excursion budget than normal.

I won't book a balcony unless there are at least 3 sea days. Just cannot justify the difference in price.

Personally, I think this itinerary is WAY too much for a novice cruiser. All except San Juan and St Thomas are new ports for me, and I really like to see the ports.

But all-day excursions, every day, is going to be exhausting. I'm trying to schedule 1/2-day tours where possible and am avoiding the "activity" type excursions.

Plus, I'm flying in at noon on Saturday for a 10 pm Sunday sailing AND not flying home until Tuesday after we return early the next Sunday.

Hint: paragraphs are our friends. I just sort of skimmed your post because it was very difficult to read.

Anyway, I'd save the money and go with the inside cabin. But everyone has their own budget and their own priorities. My priority is to see as much as possible without wearing myself out too much and do it at a price that allows me to cruise again at the end of the year.

what does the number of cruises one's gone on have to do with the number of port/sea days? We specifically booked this because my husband's not big on just laying around by the pool.

We're also going for a balcony- the daytime isn't when I'd use it anyway, so it'll be nice to have in the mornings, evenings, and night.

Finally, the price I pay isn't going to determine my next cruise date, my lack of vacation days will. Since I don't vacation that frequently I'm gonna do it right when I do.

To each his own.

what does the number of cruises one's gone on have to do with the number of port/sea days? We specifically booked this because my husband's not big on just laying around by the pool.

We're also going for a balcony- the daytime isn't when I'd use it anyway, so it'll be nice to have in the mornings, evenings, and night.

Finally, the price I pay isn't going to determine my next cruise date, my lack of vacation days will. Since I don't vacation that frequently I'm gonna do it right when I do.

To each his own.

I whole heartily agree!:)

The more ports the merrier for us.......and our balcony cabins have never been a waste of money........

I worded that poorly, let me rephrase to say that since we don't get to vacation that frequently I want to be able to do so with a few extra little luxuires. Didn't mean to imply that there is a "right" or "wrong" way. :cool:

We did this cruise as "newbies", except for we had one sea day vs. having St. Kitts on the itinerary. Like linkinsama, we wanted to 'do it right' and get the most of what we'd enjoy for our money, which for us was the ports. It doesn't matter if you've cruised one or ten times, it takes the same amount of time and energy to do this itinerary.

We also had a balcony cabin. It was worth the money because that's where we would unwind after a busy day in port. We had no desire to hang out with the masses, so to speak, so the balcony was our little retreat at all times of the day and night.

NCTribeFan had a good point about not booking all day excursions. We had one of those in St. Lucia (besides our wedding in Barbados) and the rest were half day activities. That left some time to just explore and not be so rushed. We also chose one day where we just grabbed a cab and went to the beach. That was a great relaxing day! :)

Regarding excursions:

For the young one, beach days might be nice for him/her. Runaway and Dickinson's Bay are good beaches in Antigua.

A turtle swim in Barbados might be fun as well.

Coral World in St. Thomas is pretty neat for the younger set (and us older ones! lol) too.

Dominica and St. Lucia might be tricky, as most do organized bus/van type tours here. These islands aren't as commercially developed, but are absolutely beautiful.

If you haven't yet, check the port of call sections of Cruise Critic. There are a lot of good suggestions there too.

Hope this helps get you started!

Archived