LaGoulette - ATM, Metro, Bus

Halemaumau

Is this the right forum for my question?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Is this the right forum for my question?

• yes
    • no

We would like to disembark Noordam at LaGoulette, Tunisia, find an ATM, and then take a train / cab/ metro to Carthage and Tunis.

Could you provide directions to ATM?

Could you advise if I can take Metro to Carthage? What is best mode of transportation?

Thank you,

Ellen

We would like to disembark Noordam at LaGoulette, Tunisia, find an ATM, and then take a train / cab/ metro to Carthage and Tunis.

Could you provide directions to ATM?

Could you advise if I can take Metro to Carthage? What is best mode of transportation?

Thank you,

Ellen

We were there in 2004 cruising on the old Noordam. I would not like to go it alone there. We took a ships excursion and we had to keep very close to our guide and follow his instructions to the letter. Many places do not allow photographs to be taken, there were armed guards everywhere. :eek: We heard a story of a couple that went on their own and had a very hard time getting past the guards to get back on the ship.

Having said that, there are many fascinating places to see and we really enjoyed our "supervised" visit.

Things may have changed since 2004 but please research very well and my advise would be take a ships tour, you will sleep better just knowing you will be safely taken care of and your return to the ship will be hassle free.

Re the currency, I do not know about ATMs but I assume you will have some euros, they accepted both the euro and US $ when we were there. Bargaining for the best price is part of their culture, be sure to bargain hard.

We were in Tunesia in 2007 and did not experience any episode that would have us nervous. However, we were on a ship tour - others on the ship had no problem walking around.

As for Carthage, it is intermingled within a very nice part of town. When those homes were built, they did not care about those 'ruins' and knocked down the 'junk' and built their homes. There are some nice parts of Carthage left but they are scattered about the neighborhood.

Most memorable was a large area of Roman Baths, there was another large area but I forgot their previous use.

You can see there was a difference between 2004 and 2007, which could be the case between 2007 & 2009. Take a tour to see the most in the time you have.

MaryAnn

Archived