Anyone been to Old Belize?

robinlbe

I'm working on the plans for our excursion for my mom and me when we port at Belize in March. We've booked with Nacho and Cynthia :)

We'll be doing a driving tour around Belize, and Nacho has suggested Old Belize. I'm not so sure about "Old Belize"....anyone have any good/bad to say about it??

I've already been to Altun Ha, and we're not able to do cave-tubing, zip-lining, or snorkeling, so we're kind of limited to much else...

Yes, Old Belize is definitely worth a trip if you are not going to one of the cayes, zoo, or cave tubing, etc. Someone not connected with the cruise lines had a brillant idea and many people are finding their way there. The food is cheap and excellent. They also have a little museum there that explains why and how Belize came into existence. I think it may be $2.50 US admission. It shows about sugar cane and lumbering. There is also a water side and a place for children to snorkel. There is also a zip line there. I did not go there as part of a cruise, as I have been in Belize for a month and hired a private taxi for the day and he suggested going there. Also the Belize Museum (which is not open on Saturday), which is in the an old Belize Jail is an excellent tour and something I will check out the next trip. Hiring a private driver is inexpensive $10 US/hour for a taxi van and is the SAFEST way to see Belize City. If you do hire a private taxi, have them stop at the handicraft place (they will know what this is) and then you will get beautiful Belizean crafts at half or a third of the price at the cruise terminal shops, as well as helping support the Belizeans. We saw tourists walking the streets and it definitely is not a safe thing to do on your own.

Janice

Nacho and Cynthia are our guides for the day...and he is the one who suggested it for us. Mom isn't able to walk a great deal, and isn't able to snorkle. We definitely do not want to do a tour through the cruise line, and since I've already been to Altun Ha, we're fairly limited on what we can do. The pics of "Old Belize" looked nice enough, but I couldn't tell if it was a tourist trap or not. I couldn't really find anyone else on the boards who had been there who had been there....so I didn't really know what to expect....

thanks for taking time to post your thoughts,...

thanks for taking time to post your thoughts,...

You might also ask them about going to the Belize Museum, which is in the old jail. I goggled it and evidently it has some things that might be of great interest. I have not see any posts from people saying "skip it." I wouldn't say that Old Belize is not a tourist trap, but if you don't have anything better to do, the food is particularly good. I would definitely suggest the chicken nachos because we ordered a plate for the table of six and everyone couldn't stop eating them because they were exceptional, as well as the Belizean rice and stewed chicken. This is a national dish and is a lot of food for a very inexpensive price. The place is unbelievably clean. The ships are not offering an excursion there, but I can't see where it would be worthwhile to pay them for it.

Hope you enjoy your day in Belize.

Janice

If you don't feel comfortable doing that tour you might want to consider eco tours belize dot com where you can click on gallows reef and beach and get some info. For $35.00 you can go to Bannister Island where there is a beautiful beach with plenty of chairs and not too crowded. Shade is available if you would prefer. Your mom could just relax and enjoy a Bannister Island tea - goes down soo smooth but has a kick. :D Once you get her settled you can play some volleyball or do some snorkeling right from shore. Tried snorkeling for the first time here and fell in love with it! Saw the most awesome red starfish at least 12" long.

The people that run this operation are the most friendly but not pushy at all. They really made you feel at home. If you go with them you will have plenty of time before and after to do a little shopping at the Tourism village. You get about 3-1/2 to 4 hrs on the island.

Archived