Seattle - Silver Cloud Inn, need advice!

Infi

Hi all,

We're thinking of booking this hotel prior to our Alaskan cruise in June. I've checked out their site and some reviews on TripAdvisor, but was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences with this hotel.

-Is the hotel safe at night? I read there are trains and the stadium nearby - does it get loud?

-What are some nice (reasonably priced) restaurants nearby?

-Is there much within walking distance?

-Any sights to see/recommendations of where to go? I believe it's close to downtown. We've never been to Seattle before and would like to see the sights and get a good overview. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

There are 3 Silver Clouds in the downtown area. One's next to Safeco Field, another's on Capitol Hill, and the third is on South Lake Union.

They're all well-located for visitors, with the one on Lake Union being close to a streetcar that goes into the commercial core.

It's a good chain; you'll be happy with any of them. If you're looking at the Safeco location, it will be noisy and crowded around ball games, otherwise it's a longish walk to Pioneer Square, or a quick bus ride. No safety issues with any that I'm aware of - friends and visitors all give great reviews.

I have not stayed at any Silver Cloud hotels, but know someone that has at the one in Eastgate and is always very happy with it.

The hotel is located next to the Seattle Seahawk (Qwest) stadium and the Seattle Mariners (Safeco) field. It is more in the industrial area, but if you don't mind walking or catching the bus it is an okay location. But if you want to be in the heart of the downtown are, it is NOT.:p

Not sure if it would be noisy from the trains, I would think the hotel would have built in some sound barriers if it were noisy since it is a pretty new hotel.

It is about a 5 minute walk into Pioneer Square and there are a few places close by to eat, here is a link to the Pyramid Brewery http://www.pyramidbrew.com/alehouses/seattle

If you don't want to walk there are buses that run along the street in front of the hotel.

Sites to see in Seattle:

The popular touristy places are, The Pike Place Market, The Waterfront, Pioneer Square, International District, The Seattle Center, water taxi over to Alki Beach, Boeing Plant Tour.

I see you looked at Trip Advisor, see what areas they also recommend or other threads. Not sure what types of things you are interested in??

Gardyloo,

If you don't mind me asking do you know yourself or anyone that has stayed at the Homewood Suites by Hilton Seattle Downtown its on 206 Western Ave West. We have stayed at one in another state and it was really nice. So we thought this would be a great choice. Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:)

Haven't stayed there and don't know anyone who has - it's pretty new.

I'm sure it's okay - I too have stayed at Homewood Suites in other locations, and it's a solid product.

That said, I'm not crazy about the location. It's in an office/warehouse type district that's definitely on the outer edge of the downtown area, a mile or more from the main attractions like the Pike Market. There are a few, but not a lot of restaurants etc. around. You can walk (uphill) to Seattle Center and the Space Needle, or downhill to Myrtle Edwards Park and the Olympic Sculpture Garden, but it's a schlep to the shopping areas, uncomfortably long if the weather is inclement (and we're talking Seattle remember.) If you're okay with so-so bus service or want to rent a car, then fine. Otherwise you could find yourselves feeling rather isolated, or dependent on taxis to get places, which of course erodes any savings on accommodation.

For what it's worth, it's probably the closest hotel in taxi terms to the new Pier 91 cruise terminal (HAL, Princess) that will be in use later this year.

• 8 years later...

Any other hotels suggestions close to the cruise port? We're on NCL Pearl 7/9, coming in a day ahead and staying the night of disembarkation. Probably need one closer to sights on return. We have a late flight. Thanks.

I saw a good price and great reviews on Marriott Bellevue. Where is that in relation to the cruise port?

Any other hotels suggestions close to the cruise port? We're on NCL Pearl 7/9, coming in a day ahead and staying the night of disembarkation. Probably need one closer to sights on return. We have a late flight. Thanks.

I saw a good price and great reviews on Marriott Bellevue. Where is that in relation to the cruise port?

I have a few other suggestions, but I'll answer your question first. Bellevue is east of Seattle across Lake Washington. It will be a 25-35 minute drive across the floating bridge, and then through Downtown to Pier 66 Bell Harbor Marina.

If you want to be close to the pier and lots of the typical Seattle sights the best hotels would be the Edgewater, which is one pier northwest of Pier 66. The next closest option would be the Seattle Marriott Waterfront, which is just across Alaskan Way from Pier 66. Both are an easy walk to and from the pier. If you have rolling luggage and some stamina you won't have a problem walking to the pier from either location. There is a lot of construction along Alaskan Way right now, so if you book at the Marriott Waterfront you may want to talk with the front desk about how walk-able it is across Alaskan Way to the pier.

Most all hotels in Seattle are easily 20 to upwards of 50% more expensive than hotels located outside of Seattle, notably hotels in Bellevue (east), Renton (south) and Everett (north), are generally much less expensive. If you don't mind paying for a shuttle, cab, or Uber/Lyft to get you to the pier, than you can save quite a bit of money by staying outside of Seattle. However, you aren't going to be near anything which is attractive to tourists.

The next concentration of hotels that aren't too far form the pier, but not really within luggage carrying walking distance are on 4th and 5th Aves. There is the Warwick, Hotel 5, the Westin, all nice properties.

You may also want to look at properties near the Seattle Center. I would be surprised if you find a hotel room lower than $150/night in downtown Seattle. I suspect that the typical rate will be $175-250/night.

When booking, if you stay at a hotel that is not walking distance to the pier, be sure to ask about shuttle transfers available from the hotel. Otherwise you are on your own to hail a cab or use Uber or Lyft.