Cristobar Pier Question

davis0056

We'll be posting this question on the Celebrity thread also, but since it relates directly to Panama Canal cruises, hopefully someone here can answer our question. We are looking for (and found) Celebrity cruises that not only go thru the canal but also stop at Cristobal Pier so we could do some tours of the area. Our confusion is that the time at Cristobar Pier is only 2-3 hours depending on the cruise yet the shore excursion run up to 7 hours and those are the ones we're interested in. Some of the cruises list Cristobar Pier, some say Cristobar Pier (pick up only) but the time in port is the same. How can there be 7 hour tours when you're in port only 2 hours?

Dave and Elaine

There are a couple of instances when this stop at Cristobal occurs. The most common is on partial transit Canal cruises. The ship will depart Florida and arrive at the Canal, lock up Gatun Locks and then go to anchor in Gatun Lake (usually around 9am). Passengers who have tours booked will then tender off the ship and meet their tours. While they are on their tour, (6 to 8 hours) the ship will then lock back down Gatun Locks and proceed to the Cristobal pier arriving around 4pm or so. This is where the touring passengers will rejoin the ship. There is also a nice shopping area on the pier. Since the ship will only be docked at Cristobal about 3 hours, there is not enough time to take any tours at this point.

The other time a ship may use the Cristobal pier is during a northbound transit, (Pacific to Atlantic) the vessel will go to anchor before the vessels locks down Gatun Locks. Similar to the partial transits, passengers will tender off the ship to take tours and will meet back up with the ship when it docks in Cristobal.

Hope this helps......

• 1 month later...

Did you receive an replies to your question about staying on the ship or doing excursions in Panama? I am really undecided myself whether to do an excusion in Panama. My cruise is upcoming - March 19.

First of all let me preface this with, I'm not a huge tour person so I don't want to disuade you from taking any tours. Staying on the ship while it goes back down Gatun Locks is enjoyable. You get to take in sights that you may have missed and it certainly is a lot less crowded. Now for the BUT.... when you are on a partial transit that is the best time to take a tour since you are going over territory you have just passed. If later you decide to take a full transit, you certainly would not want to get off the ship for a tour. Panama has a lot to offer, so if you find something you might be interested in, it would be worth your while.

The ship goes to anchor in Gatun Lake and only tour passengers get off in the Lake. You won't be able to get off until the ship docks in Cristobal

Archived