lounge chairs

drpm

This will be our first hal cruise just wondering about lounge chairs around the pool .We were on carnival cruise before where you had to be up early to get a pool side chair is it the same on hal.Is there a shortage of chairs around the pool.thanks

On sea days it can be a challenge. HAL's Rotterdam had signs posted indicating reserving deck chairs was prohibited and personal items would be removed and given to a deck steward if the chair was unattended for 30 minutes.

If there aren't any available by the pool here's some suggestions for more lounge chairs...

The outer Promenade Deck (normally on the lower promenade level) will have genuine, wooden teak lounge chairs available. Waiters come 'round with refreshments in the afternoon.

If you just want to sun, go up to the Sky Deck, above the Crow's nest. There are lounge chairs up there and if it's not too windy, you'll have a quiet time with one of the best views at sea. There's even an open air shower up there too!

If you just want to sun, go up to the Sky Deck, above the Crow's nest. There are lounge chairs up there and if it's not too windy, you'll have a quiet time with one of the best views at sea. There's even an open air shower up there too!

That is one of my favorite places too and it's usually pretty quiet. It does get fairly windy up there.

This will be our first hal cruise just wondering about lounge chairs around the pool .We were on carnival cruise before where you had to be up early to get a pool side chair is it the same on hal.Is there a shortage of chairs around the pool.thanks

It really isn't as bad as Carnival can be. There are alot of people in chairs, but less chair hogs.;) Like another poster mentioned, if you don't have to be by the pool, there are lots of other great outdoor spots on HAL. And the best most comfortable chairs are in those spots!

We took a cruise last February on the Westerdam and never had a problem getting a chair near the pool. We are going on a 14 day this year and hope to have the same experience.

On most cruise ships there are signs everywhere that you cannot save a chair by putting a towel of book on it. Yet I have never seen this enforced.

Ahhhh,one of the reasons I love HAL, the aft pool and......you can usually always find a chair, not like Carnival at all. I really don't like the middle pool area, seems too closed in to me, and it usually is a little more crowded.

Ahhhh,one of the reasons I love HAL, the aft pool and......you can usually always find a chair, not like Carnival at all. I really don't like the middle pool area, seems too closed in to me, and it usually is a little more crowded.

Yep, lots of chairs there, even after the Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam and Rotterdam get their 'Retreats' installed on their rear ends;)

The Retreat’s pool will be divided into three main sections separated by low, curving walls running the length of the pool. The middle section is 16 inches deep so guests can sit on built-in benches in the water. The two side sections will feature 44 lounge chairs set in 8 inches of water. At the aft end of the pool will be a hot tub.

Slice pizzeria, which debuted on Eurodam, will be in the pool area with tables and chairs under a sunscreen. A stage will be located near the pool for live music performances, and an LED screen and sound system will provide movies and video to The Retreat.

the_retreat.jpg

the_retreat.jpg

Wow...this is the first that I've seen a rendering of this area. I couldn't really wrap my mind around what it would look like and I have to say that I really like it. I think this would be successful on all of the HAL ships. The large screen seems a bit like the MUTS screen concept from Princess...which we really loved.

Is that how one of the pools looks on the eurodam ? Thats pretty cool the chairs in the water.

Nope, that's not Eurodam. That's an artist rendering on what the aft pool deck will look like on the four 'S' class (Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam & Veendam) and one "R" class (Roterdam) ships after drydocking

Thanks John for all the info:) Love the idea of the chairs in a little water!!

Is the Zaandam scheduled for any upgrades???

I knew on our first cruise on the Maasdam when at about one in the afternoon there were 3 people at the aft pool, that this was the cruise line for me:D

Thanks John for all the info:) Love the idea of the chairs in a little water!!

Is the Zaandam scheduled for any upgrades???

I knew on our first cruise on the Maasdam when at about one in the afternoon there were 3 people at the aft pool, that this was the cruise line for me:D

Hi Jane, Zaandam is not scheduled for that upgrade at the moment. Just the four "S" and one "R" class ships

It's less croweded and the shower for cooling down is great. I don't really care too much about being around the pools; at best you can take a dip to cool down and the shower works just as well for that.

Based on my small sample of time on the Zaandam during a recent 15-day (10 sea days) trip, the amount of water sloshing around in the pool would make this a completely worthless addition. Maybe shore days would work, but who stays onboard?

Seems like an idea cooked up by someone in "marketing" who's never been on a cruise.

Based on my small sample of time on the Zaandam during a recent 15-day (10 sea days) trip, the amount of water sloshing around in the pool would make this a completely worthless addition. Maybe shore days would work, but who stays onboard?

Seems like an idea cooked up by someone in "marketing" who's never been on a cruise.

I disagree, I like this idea because I'm a chicken who thinks pool water is always TOO COLD so I don't swim onboard, but I do like to splash a bit of H2O to cool off. I think I like this idea... :)

Archived