GCT - Belgium and Holland, early April

breezygarden

May friend and I are seriusly considering this cruise this spring. We would like to hear from anyone that has taken it during the first week of April in prior years. I know the weather is always a chance, but would like any comments you have on the ship , "MS River Harmony", and any of the recommended optional tours. I am a garden and flower lover. Also, how leisurely is this cruise and its tours. We cruised Provence/Burgundy last spring and did a lot of 'hard' walking everyday - which was our choice since we took every tour, optional and included....and loved every minute of them !! :D thank you

May friend and I are seriusly considering this cruise this spring. We would like to hear from anyone that has taken it during the first week of April in prior years. I know the weather is always a chance, but would like any comments you have on the ship , "MS River Harmony", and any of the recommended optional tours. I am a garden and flower lover. Also, how leisurely is this cruise and its tours. We cruised Provence/Burgundy last spring and did a lot of 'hard' walking everyday - which was our choice since we took every tour, optional and included....and loved every minute of them !! :D thank you

We went over Easter last year . . . was that late March? Cold, damp and windy for many days . . . a lovely tour. Plan to dress in layers and make sure one is for rain. I wore long sleeve shirts (sometimes 2), a medium weight fleece and a rainjacket almost every day. The rain jacket was a great windbreaker too.

The tulips were not out in any real abundance although many of the early flowers were. There are indoor exhibits in the gardens . . .plenty of tulips and more exotic flowers there. As far as optional excursions, the only one that really sticks out was the Delta Works . . . we were a bit disappointed with Delft as the museums were not included. I find GCT tours to be leisurely . . . this one was no exception.

I believe the River Harmony is basically the same as the Concerto (the ship we took). Cabins are more than adequate . . . good sized bathroom . . . sufficient storage, if you keep a few things in your suitcase under the bed. Beds are singles, they fold up during the day and down at night.

I would do it again!

Beginning of April - flowerwise - is kind of early. Mid to late April would be better.

It is all weather depending of course and till now we have a much cooler weather then usual.

Last year spring also was cold, the year before that it was warmer then usual.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! (I noticed this is your first post.) I'm CPT's DW, and I'll add a little to his post. Our trip was from 3/20 through 3/31/2008. As he said, the weather was brisk (as in a few slushy inches of snow at the beginning in Brussels). We checked the forecasts before our final packing and had appropriate clothing; many people did not do so and were limited to what they could do.

As for the flowers- yes, we were early, but it was still a beautiful trip. Keukenof Gardens and the Alsmeer Flower auction house will probably be included tours (if not, make sure you do go to both!). Also, as DH mentioned, we really enjoyed the Delta Works optional tour. It was a long bus ride (and therefore a little expensive) but very fascinating (not just from an engineering angle, but also in historical and environmental info). Here's a link to our post after our trip:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=747928&highlight=keukenhof

If you have questions about this part of Europe, check this forum (as well as asking questions here):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=12134363

As Ine mentioned, mid April would be better, but if you can only go at the beginning, don't skip this trip. Just pack accordingly! And note that, while you're touring Belgium and The Netherlands in the "Springtime", Ine will be wintering in Mexico.

Archived