The Upsell Fairy called, and I turned her down!

Diana68

I just got my first call ever from the Upsell Fairy, and I turned her down...I'm kicking myself in the butt right now. :eek::o We are sailing B2B sailings on the Jade, leaving on Sunday. The main reason I said no is because the courtyard villa that she offered me is only available for our first sailing, then I would have to go back to my aft mini suite for our second sailing. I thought it wouldn't be fun to move. :rolleyes: Plus there are only two of us, so I wasn't sure what I'd do with the extra bedroom. I could have had it for $1900 more than what we've paid for the 12 day sailing. Part of me wants to call her back, but part says be happy with what I have. We've always been in a balcony, or lower, so the mini on the aft is a treat for me. Tell me that I did the right thing.....

I just got my first call ever from the Upsell Fairy, and I turned her down...I'm kicking myself in the butt right now. :eek::o We are sailing B2B sailings on the Jade, leaving on Sunday. The main reason I said no is because the courtyard villa that she offered me is only available for our first sailing, then I would have to go back to my aft mini suite for our second sailing. I thought it wouldn't be fun to move. :rolleyes: Plus there are only two of us, so I wasn't sure what I'd do with the extra bedroom. I could have had it for $1900 more than what we've paid for the 12 day sailing. Part of me wants to call her back, but part says be happy with what I have. We've always been in a balcony, or lower, so the mini on the aft is a treat for me. Tell me that I did the right thing.....

You made the right call ;)

You already have a great spot and now you have an extra $1900 to spend.

Have great cruise.

Ouch, I don't blame you for turning it down though. Now, if the upsell had been for the 2nd week...that might be a different story. It would be easier to head upstairs the 2nd week than going back to your other cabin. An aft mini isn't too bad, should be great!

We have an aft balcony on the Jade in July, hoping the fairy sprinkles her dust our way then! Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes.

I guess it all depends on how much money you have to spend. $1900 is actually a great price for an upgrade from a mini to the GV, but to me, $1900 is a LOT of money. I'd rather keep the mini and go on another cruise with that $1900. So in my opinion, you made a wise choice. If however, money wasn't an issue, as I said before, it's a great offer.

CG

Now, if the upsell had been for the 2nd week...that might be a different story. It would be easier to head upstairs the 2nd week than going back to your other cabin.

So True! I will definitely write a review when we come back!

I have never gotten "the Call", but I would have turned it down for $1,900. I like the suite life too, but there's a lot that can be done with the $1,900. As someone said, 'that's another cruise." Nancy

Did you ask if you could have it both weeks for $1900? I don't think I would want to be packing up and "downgrading" after a week for that price. You made the right choice. On the otherhand, if it were $800 I would take. We took an upsell to a CV and it was an incredible experience as I would never spend that kind of money on a cruise to begin with.

Personally I think you made the right decision too. While $1900.00 isn't bad, IMHO, to go from a mini to a GV, it would have been....well... a let down, for lack of a better way to put it... when you would have to go back to the mini. I really do think you made the right call on this one. It's a shame they couldn't or didn't offer you some other suite for both legs of the cruise.

Diana, Hi!!! We had the same thing happen on the Jewel cruise we were on with you, Doug and the kids. We turned it down for the same reason. We couldn't imagine moving between the two cruises. It would have been like changing hotels.
Hi Adele! :D How are you guys?

If the kids were going, it would make sense to take the A3 w/ the second bedroom, but for the two of us, I just couldn't do it. Doug said that the $1900 will but a lot of stuff for our place up north...

Did you ask if you could have it both weeks for $1900? I don't think I would want to be packing up and "downgrading" after a week for that price.
If that would have been possible, I would have grabbed it, but the A3 that was available on our 12 day, wasn't available for our 9 day. I could have asked about moving a few doors down to another A3 for the 9 day, but it's still a lot of money, ...so I didn't. DH is laughing at me, he's surprised that I haven't called them back yet. :rolleyes: I also would never pay full price for a A3, so I'm thinking that this was my one and only chance. :(

Hi Diana! Long time no see! Say hi to Rachel!

I think you made the best choice as well... :) You already have a fabulous cabin, and you won't have to move :)

Enjoy your cruise and be sure to let us know how the Jade is :)

Personally I think you made the right decision too. While $1900.00 isn't bad, IMHO, to go from a mini to a GV, it would have been....well... a let down, for lack of a better way to put it... when you would have to go back to the mini. I really do think you made the right call on this one. It's a shame they couldn't or didn't offer you some other suite for both legs of the cruise.

Thanks Terry! I've read your posts about how wonderful the Aft cabins are, and I love sitting and watching the wake, so the mini should be wonderful. This is my first Aft cabin so I'm sure that I'll love it. It was an upgrade to a CV, not a GV (Garden Villa) anyway. I have Platinum status, and on our last 5 NCL cruises we've had VIP benefits, so hopefully we will have that again.

Hi Diana! Long time no see! Say hi to Rachel!

I think you made the best choice as well... :) You already have a fabulous cabin, and you won't have to move

Enjoy your cruise and be sure to let us know how the Jade is :)

Hi Cliff! Give Rebbeca a hug from me! I will post a review when we get back. We need to all book another cruise together and then take an upsell to the GV. :D:p;) It has the three suites...one for each of us.

Thanks Terry! I've read your posts about how wonderful the Aft cabins are, and I love sitting and watching the wake, so the mini should be wonderful. This is my first Aft cabin so I'm sure that I'll love it. It was an upgrade to a CV, not a GV (Garden Villa) anyway. I have Platinum status, and on our last 5 NCL cruises we've had VIP benefits, so hopefully we will have that again.

Oh.. sorry.. I was trying to read without my glasses.. LOL..

That is a bit high to me for a CV, but not horrible. I do have to tell you though.. if you are like the rest of us.. you will be addicted to having an aft. Don't know if you have read me posting this or not, but we are in the process of looking at booking our Alaskan cruise for 2010 and we have an opportunity to get the AA (owners suite.. I think it is an AA).. but I just don't know if we can give up the Aft for it. LOL. I think Doug is more willing than I am to give it up and we just might... I'm on the fence.

...we are in the process of looking at booking our Alaskan cruise for 2010 and we have an opportunity to get the AA (owners suite.. I think it is an AA).. but I just don't know if we can give up the Aft for it.

For Alaska that would be a tough choice. The glaciers would probable be better viewed from the AA, with the huge front balcony, and the side one too,.....but you will probably see more whales and sea life from the Aft,...like I said tough choice.

You absolutely made the right decision. $1900 is a lot to pay for space not using. Your also right on having to move down. We too have turned down upsells because we always do b2b and don't want to move mid vacation.

Hi Adele! :D How are you guys?

If the kids were going, it would make sense to take the A3 w/ the second bedroom, but for the two of us, I just couldn't do it.

:D We got an upsell to an AB on the Star a few years ago, just the two of us, and we used the second bedroom as a BIG closet.

We're fine. Going to Canada next (staying away from the ocean).

Please tell Rachael that I'm still indebted to her for the loan of the towel. :D

Have fun in your aft mini!

:D We got an upsell to an AB on the Star a few years ago, just the two of us, and we used the second bedroom as a BIG closet.

We're fine. Going to Canada next (staying away from the ocean).

Please tell Rachael that I'm still indebted to her for the loan of the towel. :D

Have fun in your aft mini!

I figure being booted to that room is better than being booted to the couch!

IMO, you did the right thing. A mini-suite is nothing to "sneeze at" (as it were). You'll have a blast anyway; you won't have to move (hate that, even with help); and you can now justify some splurges: "Well, we should do this because we didn't spend $1,900 on an upsell." We would not pay that much, not even for a 12-night cruise.

beachchick

For Alaska that would be a tough choice. The glaciers would probable be better viewed from the AA, with the huge front balcony, and the side one too,.....but you will probably see more whales and sea life from the Aft,...like I said tough choice.

Just stayed in the AA and the view is great, however you must stand to see out due to the solid wall, just a consideration.

My DW and I just took an upsell from an Aft BA on deck 10 to an A3 for a 10 day cruise. The price was an additional $1994.We would not normally have done this but we cashed in $2000 in Compass Rewards certificates when we booked the BA. The total outlay for the A3 was actually less than if we had paid cash for the BA without the certificates.

Jay

Archived