1 Time Solo--Help Please--Prices

KMBB

Is this a good price for the Triumph for a April Cruise? $977.00 dollars for cruise and with air it would be $1344.00 I thougth it was high, but I have never went solo before. I know single rates are different, I have the room on hold for a day, so if anyone can help me out let me know. This is a new adventure for myself and I don't know what to expect in cost or the whole cruise in it self. Thanks, kmbb

Have you checked the prices for airfares if you did the flight on your own? I've found I can usually do better purchasing the airfare separate from the cruise fare. But I think the price for your cruise is really good, although you didn't specify the kind of cabin you have. Even if it's for an inside, that's a pretty good price for a solo.

KMBB,

If that's a 7-day or longer cruise, for a balcony room, then it's a pretty good deal for a solo on Carnival. But, you can probably find a better deal--especially since you're close to the 90-day window before a sailing date in April. Rates can really drop in the 90 days prior to sailing, since that's when people with earlier bookings either have to pay off the cruise in full or withdraw their reservations.

Do a google search on "last-minute cruising" and see what happens...;)

Oh, I forgot that included your air. Like Kitty says, most of the time you can book your air for less than and "free" air deals. Check one of the major online travel sites to compare....

Kitty 9 and Tenngal---thank you for the information. My cabin is a 1a, cruise is a 7 day western. I don't feel comfortable doing the air on my own, don't want to miss the ship, if something would happen.(flying from St. Louis, Mo) I don't know much about searching or trying do to things on the computor, not very good at it. So the safe way for me booking a cruise is through a TA. Thanks for your help, kmbb

Thanks for the information everyone. This cruise is kinda hard for me to do, I'll miss my family, but family can not go this time, because of school and work. We went on a family vacation last May, after having to cancel a cruise the year before because of illness(me ovarian cancer).So I just want to get away and enjoy going to one of my favorite places(love the western ports). It will be a great getaway and a relaxing time for me, but just hard to do.

So, I will (maybe) be venturing out for the first time since I've been 18 years old on my own.(that's a long, long time ago). I hope to figure this all out in the next few days. Thanks again for your help, kmbb

Kitty 9 and Tenngal---thank you for the information. My cabin is a 1a, cruise is a 7 day western. I don't feel comfortable doing the air on my own, don't want to miss the ship, if something would happen.(flying from St. Louis, Mo) I don't know much about searching or trying do to things on the computor, not very good at it. So the safe way for me booking a cruise is through a TA. Thanks for your help, kmbb

For the time that you are going,doing spring break time, that's a reasonable cost. But if you are willing to wait,like someone else stated, the price can go down after the 90 day mark when the final payments are due.

As for the airfare, you can do better on your own and I also advise you to fly a day ahead. I work for an airline and while most flights will get you there on time, alot can happen and you don't want to miss the boat.

Also,join the roll call for your sailings. You can exchange info and suggestions about the ship and tours. I enjoy this as a solo cruiser and enjoy meeting people this way.

Also, ask to sit with other solo cruisers, great way to meet people

You will have fun!!

Is this a good price for the Triumph for a April Cruise? $977.00 dollars for cruise and with air it would be $1344.00 I thougth it was high, but I have never went solo before. I know single rates are different, I have the room on hold for a day, so if anyone can help me out let me know. This is a new adventure for myself and I don't know what to expect in cost or the whole cruise in it self. Thanks, kmbb

I read the other comments, i don't think that air sounds so bad.. its a little higher than what you might pay yourself, but doesnt seem terrible. Are transfers to the ship included. I paid about the same (cruise only) to go solo on ncl last year. Go for it.. sounds like you need the r&r

KMBB, allow me to play devil's advocate for just minute.

As others have mentioned you could save some dollars if you a) changed your cruise date and/or b) booked your own air. April is spring break season and prices are higher. Booking your own airfare (depending on your cruise date) savings are in the $90 - $190 range.

As you know, booking your own air involves some risk. You certainly don't want to miss your ship just to save a few bucks. Too, while I, like many others, fly into a port city the day before departure date doing so does indeed involve more planning and expense. Hotel room, extra transportation, food, etc.

The rate you have been given is only about $80 less than quoted on Carnival's website. (Your savings are higher if, with your quoted rate, you are able to pick your exact cabin.)

That said, not being comfortable searching and dealing with all things online you are probably best to pay the extra $$ and let a travel agent do your planning for you. Pay, go, relax, and enjoy!

In any event, please note the following. You didn't mention your cruise date but, checking Carnival's website, I note that on the April 19th cruise a rather substantial discount ($200 for a single rate) is available if you are over 55 and/or a resident of Missouri. (This special rate is NOT offered on the April 5th date.) So, if applicable, make sure your TA knows and enters this information. You may get a better price!

On a personal note, my favorite things to do in your ports of call: Cozumel - Tulum, Grand Cayman - Stingray City, and Ocho Rios - Dunn's River Falls. Ah, the memories!!

Hi Everyone, my cruise would be April 19, with a 1a cabin, flying out of St Louis, Mo. airport. Yes, I think, for me, its better to just book the whole thing with the TA. I actually live in Illinois, about 15 mile out of Missouri, so no Missouri discount for me. Now, I'm also out of luck with the 55 year old discount(not quite there yet) so should I be happy about that or not-Ha! I still have a few years before I get there.

I have the room on hold for today, will have to cancel it today, if I don't make up my mind. Not real comfortable with the TA, I have never had one that really helps me out. This one I just called to find our information, and had her put a hold on the room, but don't know if she is the right TA for me.(didn't really know alot about cruiseing) So, I am up in the air about it right now, I figure I'll just try again if I have to. I really wanted this room though, so that is a problem for me canceling it. Too be continue-----thanks for your help, kmbb

KMBB, I am curious, did you book it? I am considering a solo cruise later this year. Wish more lines had better rates for us solos. I did do an Alaska few yrs ago and it was wonderful. Have a wonderful time if you end up doing it.

No, did not book it. Had a very bad headache yesterday after my cancer dr. appointment, so I came home and just slept. The headache had nothing to do with the cancer dr., just got one. Still have it this morning. I was not real comfortable with that TA, she did not know alot about things and I had never talked to her or anyone else there. So, I guess if its meant to be, I'll re-think the cost and me going by myself, and try again. Right now, just want to get rid of this headache!!!! kmbb

Archived