Cinnamon Bay/Trunk Bay

celticd1

Just wondering if Cinnamon Bay is a quieter beach than Trunk Bay? Less crowded? Do they have lockers, beach chairs, drinks, food? It looks beautiful, but I keep hearing such nice things about Trunk Bay. Has anyone snorkeled at both? I am also curious about the nature trails.

Any info is greatly appreciated! I value every opinion! Thanks!

Big difference between Trunk Bay and Cinammon Bay. Depends on what you are looking for. Cinammon Bay is MUCH more private. Both times we have been there we have had the beach almost to ourselves. Probably 1/2 dozen people at most!

Cinammon has showers and bathroom facilities. Not sure about lockers, though. There is a small "campground"/resort there so they have a bar and grill where you can order hamburgers, etc....They also have a small convenience store that sells chips, etc so you could find the provisions for a picnic on the beach. Trunk Bay also has lockers and food available.

There is a small admission fee to Trunk Bay ($4), but Cinammon is free.

We just returned from 10 days in St Thomas/St John and snorkeled at Trunk Bay for the first time. We went early in the a.m. before the cruise ship passengers arrived. I felt the snorkeling was overated! If you are an experienced snorkel you'll probably agree. For beginners it's not bad and you've not seen much else so you don't have much to compare to.

I have not snorkeled at Cinammon Bay. Both times we have been there the waves have been pretty high and it was just too rough for me to enjoy.

We have not tried the nature trails. We had planned to on this recent trip, but with all the rain they've had the mosquitos were terrible! We were already bitten all over our ankles from the local "no see 'ems" (what the locals call whatever it was that was biting us all week long!) and didn't want to experience any more of that. However, while driving around I saw the heads to several trails and they look great!

Enjoy!

My husband and I actually preferred Cinnamon over Trunk if given only those two choices. We enjoyed the snorkeling at Cinnamon (looking for the old sunken little plane) and the fewer people. Like cpayne, while we were there on vacation, we would go to the beaches early in the mornings before the cruiseship passengers arrived, and then go to the less touristy beaches when the popular beaches got inundated. Lots of beaches to choose from on St John! Just remember not to leave anything except your footprints. :)

The last time we were there we went to both. I have pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/jean_lynd in the Explorer albums of both beaches that may help you decide. I did not see lockers or chairs at Cinnamon. You can always do what we did - go to one and if you are happy there stay - if not - head over to the other. The day that we were there I felt that the snorkeling was better at Cinnamon but the good areas are not as easy to find as they are at Trunk where they have the underwater trail. I hope this helps!

My FI and I have been to Trunk Bay a few times. We enjoyed it but we may go to Cinnamon Bay this time. (We will be there in December.)

Are there plenty of taxis to take us away from Cinnamon Bay to another Bay if we want to head out? I know that there are usually several taxis available in the parking lot at Trunk Bay.

Also, what about Caneel Bay and/or Hawksnest Bay? Anyone been there too? How do they rate w/ Cinnamon and/or Trunk Bay?

Thanks!

Christi

Just wanted to say thank you for all the advice. I think we will at least start out at Cinnamon. It sounds like we could pick up and move down to Trunk Bay if we want to.

I had heard about the sunken plane and that was another reason we wanted to go to Cinnamon. Was the plane easy to get to? I am not a very strong swimmer but I love to snorkel.

Again, I really appreciate all the input! :)

Which one has the best snorkling for beginners, in the most shallow water? My 68 year old mother would like to try it, but she doesn't want to fight the depth of the water either. I know, it doesn't sound very adventurous, but it is for MY mother : )

Also, will the water be warm enough in early March to get in the water?

Thanks for any info!

Hello Latrn220,

I think they are about the same in terms of swimming out to the snorkeling and water depth in the snorkeling area. Trunk Bay has an underwater trail she might enjoy that she can read the signs and follow along. The water will be warm enough. Air temps in March are usually in the low 80's.

--Islander

the little convenience store at cinnamon bay also has chairs available to rent while you're on the beach...it's a very quiet, lovely beach. we took the open air jitney bus from the pier to the beach...just a few bucks as i recall.

We were just @ Cinnamon Bay last month while on the Century. We've been to both Trunk and Cinnamon and my vote is for Cinnamon-but not that Trunk isn't nice-it is. Cinnamon was soooo peaceful. We had our own little cove by ourselves. Maybe 40 people on the beach total. There is no one bothering you to buy trinkets. You have to walk approx 50 yards to get a beer in the little store. Paradise. My wife even said she wouldn't mind camping there in one of the campsites. Only problem was we had to leave to catch the Ferry back to St. Thomas. We'll be back at the end of January.

Archived