Buying Liquor in FLL

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

We'd like to buy a few libations before boarding the Emerald in April out of Fort Lauderdale. Don't want to pack anything in our checked luggage, so would like some advice on how to purchase liquor if you'll only be at the airport, then go directly to the hotel in the evening - in this case the Ramada on West State Road (East boondocks that is, nothing nearby), and then take the hotel van to the ship. For instance, does the airport sell liquor for arriving passengers? Are there any liquor stores near the cruise terminal? Thanks if anyone has suggestions.

We'd like to buy a few libations before boarding the Emerald in April out of Fort Lauderdale. Don't want to pack anything in our checked luggage, so would like some advice on how to purchase liquor if you'll only be at the airport, then go directly to the hotel in the evening - in this case the Ramada on West State Road (East boondocks that is, nothing nearby), and then take the hotel van to the ship. For instance, does the airport sell liquor for arriving passengers? Are there any liquor stores near the cruise terminal? Thanks if anyone has suggestions.

The closest liquor store to the cruise terminal in Fort Lauderdale we have found is on 17th street. There are several there, and close to the port. Not actually within walking distance, unless you are really athletic, but a short taxi ride there and back.

Never been able to buy liquor at the airport when not flying out to another country as the stores there are Duty Free only, which means you need to supply your proof that you are in transit to another country before you are allowed to purchase.

Thank you Toto - Now that you mention it, I recall that we actually once did take a cab from the terminal a short distance to a very nice liquor store - lots and lots of wine selection as I recall. I think that is our best bet. Unless of course (and I know this subject has been covered here on CC ad nauseum) Princess has changed its policies and will not let you bring, say, a bottle of scotch and a couple of bottles of wine onboard - for celebratory purposes. Anything new there?

Thank you Toto - Now that you mention it, I recall that we actually once did take a cab from the terminal a short distance to a very nice liquor store - lots and lots of wine selection as I recall. I think that is our best bet. Unless of course (and I know this subject has been covered here on CC ad nauseum) Princess has changed its policies and will not let you bring, say, a bottle of scotch and a couple of bottles of wine onboard - for celebratory purposes. Anything new there?

A couple of bottles of wine are no problem at all, but the scotch, if they find it, will be confiscated and returned the final night onboard. Wine is allowed, but hard liquor is against Princess policy (if found remember). ;) So you will have to be a little on the creative side, like bubble wrap and plastic ziplock bags. ;)

If you are looking to purchase on a Sunday remember that there may be limits on sales. Depending on the location of the stores, they may be closed or may not open until noon (depending on local regulations that vary by area within Florida). This includes the sale of beer & wine in grocery stores.

Ex. - The town we lived in previously (in FL) banned all alcohol sales on Sunday. 5 minutes down the road, in another small town, liquor stores were open. Where we live now (still in FL) liquor stores are closed on Sunday, but you are able to purchase beer & wine in the grocery store after 12 noon.

We use Total Wine & More close to the port. You can order from their web site before your cruise and they will have it ready when you arrive (saves time and money if you are cabbing it). ;)

If you are looking to purchase on a Sunday remember that there may be limits on sales. Depending on the location of the stores, they may be closed or may not open until noon (depending on local regulations that vary by area within Florida). This includes the sale of beer & wine in grocery stores.

Ex. - The town we lived in previously (in FL) banned all alcohol sales on Sunday. 5 minutes down the road, in another small town, liquor stores were open. Where we live now (still in FL) liquor stores are closed on Sunday, but you are able to purchase beer & wine in the grocery store after 12 noon.

If memory serves me correctly, Total Wine and More opens at noon on Sunday. Here is the link to the Fort Lauderdale location: http://www.totalwine.com/StoreList.aspx?state=FL&store=904

Archived