getting a cot

angel-mom

I'm not an expert like most of these other folks, but if they allowed you to book a room with X number of people in it, there will also be that number of beds in your cabin.

They allow four in a quad cabin, but two beds separate into twins (or convert to queen) and then there is a pull out sofa bed. My DS and DD are scheduled to share the sofa bed, like the OP's children, but if we could add a roll away bed it would be better. I understand the OP's desire to do so.

They allow four in a quad cabin, but two beds separate into twins (or convert to queen) and then there is a pull out sofa bed. My DS and DD are scheduled to share the sofa bed, like the OP's children, but if we could add a roll away bed it would be better. I understand the OP's desire to do so.

Oh I see. I assumed that if 4 people were booked to a cabin, they would be in a room where the 2 beds fold down from the wall. I didn't know they would expect 2 people to sleep on the sofa bed. Yes, I can see why a cot would be useful:)

What category are you in? Unless you are in a JS or above there isn't any room to put even a sleeping bag if the sofa bed is open. Even a JS would be tight. You need to see what other options are available.

Tight is an understatement! When our dance studio takes our annual cruise, the older students always bunk together, 4 to a room, to cut down on costs. Once those 2 pullmans are down, and they have all their luggage in there, there is no room to walk. All they can do is basically sleep. They have to crawl over each other to use the bathroom. It's all right for kids, but I couldn't even imagine doing it as an adult...even with my just my kid. I need my personal space!:)

I'm not the OP, but just a note to ask for a little grace... some families (ours, for example) have no other option, no alternative but to book 4 into a room. Yes, it was tight, but 2 rooms, even 2 inside rooms, were out of the question.

Just wanted to offer that; sometimes, people are quick to assume that "another arrangment" would work best for 4 people. I fully understand the sleep-two-kids-in-the-sofabed thing. Trust me, if it could have been done another way, we would have done it. :)

Sadly, once the sofabed is opened, a rollaway won't fit in the room. My kids share the sofa bed (7 & 9, girl and boy!), and they are NOT happy about it! Its the price we pay for having that aft balcony that mommy wants so badly. We swap around every night, letting a kid sleep in the bed with a grown up, and a grown up has to share the sofa bed with a child. Not the most roomy arrangement, but in our room, the grown up that gets the sofabed, gets to stay out later than the other!

No cots or rollaways available on RCCL. Make sure you have a cabin with the 2 pullmans instead of a sleeper sofa if your kids don't want to sleep together.

They also have cabins with a sleeper sofa AND a pullman. We booked one for our next cruise.

I'm not the OP, but just a note to ask for a little grace... some families (ours, for example) have no other option, no alternative but to book 4 into a room. Yes, it was tight, but 2 rooms, even 2 inside rooms, were out of the question.

Just wanted to offer that; sometimes, people are quick to assume that "another arrangment" would work best for 4 people. I fully understand the sleep-two-kids-in-the-sofabed thing. Trust me, if it could have been done another way, we would have done it. :)

I think everyone was just telling them that a cot was NOT an option so they have to rethink their options. We had many vacations where my kids shared a bed though it was not the best option, but if they wanted to vacation it was the ONLY option. No one has said they need to move to a different cabin just to realize the limitations of their current one.

Sadly, once the sofabed is opened, a rollaway won't fit in the room. My kids share the sofa bed (7 & 9, girl and boy!), and they are NOT happy about it! Its the price we pay for having that aft balcony that mommy wants so badly. We swap around every night, letting a kid sleep in the bed with a grown up, and a grown up has to share the sofa bed with a child. Not the most roomy arrangement, but in our room, the grown up that gets the sofabed, gets to stay out later than the other!

My situation exactly. We have 1400 aft on Independence. Since it is an oversized D1 I was curious about adding a cot. We will take turns I guess!

Based on the idea of one adult/1 child on the sofa bed is to have the regular bed set-up as apart/both apart. 1 parent has a twin; 1 child has a twin and 1 parent and 1 child share the sleeper. This works well if one child is a "rough" sleeper. Also, ask for an egg create for the sleeper - it does make it more comfy.

We have a d1 cabin with a balcony. They didn't have any rooms with pullman beds when I booked for that catagory or for any balcony rooms. I thought a friend of mine said they were able to squeeze a cot in at bedtime. I will have to ask her. If we keep the twin beds apart and take the sleeper, is it comfortable? Do they have the egg crate foam that they will let you use on the ship?

Just an idea here since I have a son that crashes on the couch all the time. Maybe at night you could open the sleeper and remove the mattress. One kid could sleep on the floor on that and then, when you fold the couch back up, another could sleep on the couch. I know it wouldn't be a problem to get an extra blanket or two.

We have a d1 cabin with a balcony. They didn't have any rooms with pullman beds when I booked for that catagory or for any balcony rooms. I thought a friend of mine said they were able to squeeze a cot in at bedtime. I will have to ask her. If we keep the twin beds apart and take the sleeper, is it comfortable? Do they have the egg crate foam that they will let you use on the ship?

Thats exactly what we did. My DH and I shared the sofa bed (which is actually a futon, not a pull out with a mattress) and the kids each had a single bed. We asked for an egg crate topper which made it much more comfortable.

I think most of the time the sofa bed doesn't have a mattress. The cushions are spread over the wooden bed frame. At least that's the way it's been in the cabins I've stayed in-D1, Js, RFS. So don't count on that option.

Hope you have a great cruise and can work out the sleeping arrangements.

Archived