Seattle to Vancouver Transfer

newhips

Before you book this way, check flights directly into Vancouver (YVR). I checked Alaska Air just now and the difference in flight price is only $13 per person. Flying into Seattle and finding transportation to Vancouver will cost a whole lot more than $13 per person!

Unless you have a pressing need to go to Seattle first, it's not worth the extra 3 hours each way to get there. The drive isn't much more exciting than the freeways in Southern California.

Unless you have a pressing need to go to Seattle first, it's not worth the extra 3 hours each way to get there. The drive isn't much more exciting than the freeways in Southern California.

The train trip is much more beautiful since it glides across Puget Sound.

Did you fly into Sea/Tac and catch the train direct or else how did you get to the train?

There is only one train each day into Vancouver from Seattle and it leaves at 7:30am (you have to get there early to check your luggage). For us it was much less expensive to spend the night in Seattle (not downtown obviously) and take the train the next morning. We were told that before the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, there would be two trains up per day, but I have no idea when that's supposed to start.

For us, this option was much less than flying into YVR, but our ship disembarked in Seattle so this was absolutely perfect for us.

The train trip is much more beautiful since it glides across Puget Sound.

I understand the option for those who could save several hundred dollars, or have plenty of time on their hands, But if you don't save much, why bother with this much extra travel? Actually, with the airfare I found, it would be cheaper to fly into Vancouver for these people, since the train is around $60 each, roundtrip. So it would cost them an extra $94 plus taxi fare in both cities to take the train.

We would have to save at least $200 each to go through this scenario. When we travel, we prefer the most direct route to where we will end up. The extra luggage handling plus the extra hours (figure about 5+ each way since you have to get to the train station), or even the fact that people will probably have to travel to Seattle the day before to meet the train.

Of course, I'd prefer to click my heels and just be there, I hate the business end of travel :)

Archived