"Outdoor Adventure" in PV?

Krazeniq

I wore a bathing suit bottom with board shorts over it. You can wear pretty much anything, but you will get soaked! The straps go around and through your bottom, so keep that in mind. Have fun. :)

I see you are going on the Mariner. We did too. It was great!

Thanks. That was what she was thinking.

We are looking forward to the Mariner. It looks amazing.

Belkin - We tried to book it on our own back in December, and ran into the same answers you received. The cruise ships book up all the slots during the time they are in port, so if you tried saying you were at a hotel you most likely won't get a time slot that fits your port time. The excursion is also not close to the port, so I would be concerned about getting back to the ship on time. You are relying on a jeep and speed boat to have no problems - the stress of that is worth the extra money.Lintman - Because of the harness longer shorts work best, and a top that doesn't balloon around you! lol

What kind of footware to they reccommend? I would like to wear my Chaco's (http://www.rei.com/product/733616) which I have worn all over the beach, mountains, kenya, US, in the water, in the desert....but do they recommend close toes?

I emailed them before I went, and asked if I could wear Teva's. They said yes, those would be perfect. I think they really just want something attached securely to your foot, no loose sandals.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has done this excursion who is, well, let's say NOT THIN and NOT ATHLETIC! :rolleyes: I'm not talking 400 pound couch potato, but 5'9" and...um...thick (which translates into a lot of pounds). Fairly regular gym workouts for a few months (and losing weight!) but really not athletic, probably at this point I'd say minimally fit. Minor health issues - would a bad knee be a problem? Oh yeah, and not that crazy about heights!

Sound dumb to even be considering this? That was my thought.... But the reviews are so amazing - almost everyone says it's the best thing they've ever done. And it would be such a fitting thing for me to do at this point in my life - I just resigned from my job of more than 18 years and am ready to start a new adventure!

Advice??

I'm interested to hear if anyone has done this excursion who is, well, let's say NOT THIN and NOT ATHLETIC! :rolleyes: I'm not talking 400 pound couch potato, but 5'9" and...um...thick (which translates into a lot of pounds). Fairly regular gym workouts for a few months (and losing weight!) but really not athletic, probably at this point I'd say minimally fit. Minor health issues - would a bad knee be a problem? Oh yeah, and not that crazy about heights!

Sound dumb to even be considering this? That was my thought.... But the reviews are so amazing - almost everyone says it's the best thing they've ever done. And it would be such a fitting thing for me to do at this point in my life - I just resigned from my job of more than 18 years and am ready to start a new adventure!

Advice??

You can do it! I've had 2 hip replacements, arthritis in my lower back, and I'm in no way thin. I had a blast on this excursion. After the ride on the mule (yes, I was able to get on and off with no problem!), there is a short hike up hill to the training platform. You will definitely be winded, but you don't have to rush. After that it is one zip line after another, rappeling, and bridges, but no long hikes. At the end you walk back, but it is level and downhill. The walk back was so nice - you walk thru streams/creeks. Go for it.:)

deevmo, thank you so much! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I haven't absolutely decided whether or not to do it, but I think I might. My life seems to be changing in many ways right now - in addition to leaving my job, my dog died this week.... So doing something completely unlike me sounds good!

deevmo, thank you so much! That's exactly what I wanted to hear! I haven't absolutely decided whether or not to do it, but I think I might. My life seems to be changing in many ways right now - in addition to leaving my job, my dog died this week.... So doing something completely unlike me sounds good!

You will enjoy it. My family couldn't believe I was going to do it. It felt like a small victory when I completed it along with everyone else. The guides are amazing, so friendly and helpful. The scenery is beautiful. At the end you can buy a disk with all the pictures of you, the scenery, and the guides for under $30. On the way back if there is time they stop at a little tequila factory. The almond tequila is really good.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for this information. I appreate it I had looked long and hard at this adventure. Im going October 31st on the Mariner and I think im going to book through the ship. This way I dont have to worry about being left behind. I just like that secruity.

I think ive now got most of my activites planned.

Great thread and wonderful detailed information about this particular activity which sounds right up my ally :)

Adri

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We just did this excursion on our June Splendor cruise and it was so much fun! If anyone has questions, please ask. A picture is worth 1000 words so here are some pics from our excursion.

The boat ride over:

BG

The mule ride up:

BG

The first zip:

BG

The rapelling:

BG

The final zip:

BG

Hi everbody..so I just booked the OA with puertovallllartatours dot net at $93 a person (vs. $129 ship price)--(on mariner 9/19-9/26)-- I will receive my vouchers tomorrow via email, so there is still a chance they will come back and say no afterall, that the cruise ship has all the 12:00 time slots. We'll see. But my question is this: We are scheduled to be in port at PV from 8 am - 7 pm. Does anyone know if RCCL (Mariner) goes by ship time or port time? If it's port time does that give us an hour extra or an hour less? My tour starts at noon and is suppsed to be 6.5 hours--that is cutting it close. However, the "Ship sanctioned tour" has 2 start times one of which is 12:15, so I think I will be OK...Anyone have any insight or a recent experience that can help me? Many thanks...:)

Hi everbody..so I just booked the OA with puertovallllartatours dot net at $93 a person (vs. $129 ship price)--(on mariner 9/19-9/26)-- I will receive my vouchers tomorrow via email, so there is still a chance they will come back and say no afterall, that the cruise ship has all the 12:00 time slots. We'll see. But my question is this: We are scheduled to be in port at PV from 8 am - 7 pm. Does anyone know if RCCL (Mariner) goes by ship time or port time? If it's port time does that give us an hour extra or an hour less? My tour starts at noon and is suppsed to be 6.5 hours--that is cutting it close. However, the "Ship sanctioned tour" has 2 start times one of which is 12:15, so I think I will be OK...Anyone have any insight or a recent experience that can help me? Many thanks...:)

If I remember correctly, the excursions go by ship time. I don't want to scare you but.... What you don't realize is that this is a long boat ride to a long army vehicle ride to just get to where the donkeys start up the mountain. If anything goes wrong, the ship will not wait for you. We booked through the ship and the boat back blew an engine. We were really glad to know that the ship wouldn't leave without us. You will get conflicting opinions on this thread.

You will love it regardless.

I called RCCL and they do everything on Ship time, depending on the time zone of your departure port. In my case that is Pacific Time. Puerto Vallarta is on "GMT" which is 2 hours later than Pacific at this time. For example, right now in Pacific it is 10:58 pm, Friday in GMT its 12:58 am Saturday--2 hours later. So, my tour meeting time is 11:30 am Vallarta time or 9:30 am ship time, which means (in my case) I should have plenty of time because I won't need to be back on the ship until almost 9 pm Vallarta time or 7 pm ship time and my tour is only 6.5 hours. WOW. That was complicated! But I hope it helps others who have the same question.

The RCCL Rep. also suggested we have two watches in any given group. Since it's just my husband and me, we could each wear a differnt time zone. Mine could be ship time, for example and his the time of whatver port we are in. Just to avoid confusion.

If there are any thoughts on this, please share. (Like if my logic seems off... or I am plain wrong...LOL! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you tbae for all the great info!! I just booked my wife, my daughter, my daughters girlfriend, and myself on Mariner Sept. 19th cruise. Thursday the 23rd @ 11 or 11:30, it should be a great time! :)

Archived