X1 drinks package costs

katedoll

Is anyone able to help?

We are going on the Costa Victoria to Dubai early Feb. I'm a bit confused about the drinks package?

How much is the X1 package for an 8 day cruise round Dubai?

We are a party of 2 adults, can just one of us buy it and we 'share' the drinks from it?

Is it just for drinks at meals, or can it be used throughout the day?

Are there other packages (not the ones for your room) that you can buy?

Any tips for the Dubai cruise? We land in Dubai from London at 7am, and was hoping to get a cabin to go straight to bed for a few hours sleep, but I understand that we don't get our cabin until early evening and luggage doesn't come until later :confused:

Any tips gratefully received.

Is anyone able to help?

We are going on the Costa Victoria to Dubai early Feb. I'm a bit confused about the drinks package?

How much is the X1 package for an 8 day cruise round Dubai?

We are a party of 2 adults, can just one of us buy it and we 'share' the drinks from it?

Is it just for drinks at meals, or can it be used throughout the day?

Are there other packages (not the ones for your room) that you can buy?

Any tips for the Dubai cruise? We land in Dubai from London at 7am, and was hoping to get a cabin to go straight to bed for a few hours sleep, but I understand that we don't get our cabin until early evening and luggage doesn't come until later :confused:

Any tips gratefully received.

We booked the X1 package for the 17 day cruise on the Fortuna; transatlantic cruise. It was $13.95 per person, per day. This must be booked before the cruise. Thru the travel agent or Costa . Not on the ship. In advance.

• 2 weeks later...

And I, who will be travelling with DW above, would like to know why it is so much cheaper for Europeans than for Americans! We end up paying at least a pound or two more a day. Something tells me that Costa's exchange rates are funky.

And I, who will be travelling with DW above, would like to know why it is so much cheaper for Europeans than for Americans! We end up paying at least a pound or two more a day. Something tells me that Costa's exchange rates are funky.

I suspect the exchange rates are fixed at the time of brochure publication for the following season. It would be impossible for them I suppose to keep adjusting the prices on a daily basis. This time last year we were getting over $2 to the pound so prices are up on that slightly for us. However, the fact that the £ has slumped so badly against the $ and the euro in recent months has made the price of the X1 package a little more favourable for us at the moment. (As the price for this is set in £'s rather than the euro)

If it makes you feel any better though last year a 6 euro drink was costing us in the region of £4.20-£4.50 (still approx a 40%-50% mark up on what we would pay at home). This year it will cost us £6+ :eek:. (Equivalent to $12 this time last year, maybe about $8.50 now.) Everything else we need to pay for tours, transport, hotels etc, will cost us at least a third more than if we had bought the same thing last year, whether we pay in euros or dollars, so overall, we will lose out much more than we gain.

Just tried to book 2 adult X1 cards for our European Costa trip and was told that everyone in the cabin had to purchase the card. Fair enough. However, the children have to buy the card too - at over £5 a day!!!! Asked for them to check on this and should find out more tomorrow.

11 night cruise - £84.76 per adult

£57.68 per child

Anyone heard of this 'new rule'? Sometimes it all depends on who you speak to.

Tracey

I have just booked the X1 package for myself & husband for Asia 14 day cruise in April direct with Costa (Asia). I didn't have to buy for the kids and it cost AUD 257 for the 14 nights - which seems like a very good deal to us

Hi- I've looked for the X1 package all over the Aussie Costa site but cannot find it...can you give me more info on how you purchased it? Is it $257 for both of you or each? We are doing a 15 night far east asia cruise in June.

Thankyou

Carlz

Hi- I've looked for the X1 package all over the Aussie Costa site but cannot find it...can you give me more info on how you purchased it? Is it $257 for both of you or each? We are doing a 15 night far east asia cruise in June.

Thankyou

Carlz

You can't book it online, you need to ring Costa directly (or ask your TA to do so)

Not sure about the price, but we paid approx £85 per person for 11 nights, so I guess that is roughly $170-$180 for you, so I suspect the $257 is per person.

Just to add, if in the UK, Costa seem adamant that it now must be purchased for all in the cabin, including children. Seems as if it is not universal though, at the moment at least.

have just returned from 11 day cruise,we managed to book the x1 package for all the adults(5 of us) and would recommend it.at dinner we ordered wine etc.for us and water or soft drinks for the 2 children they seemed to assume that the children were covered,and we did'nt bother to tell them!! Each evening there were bottles of wine etc. on the table waiting for us.we tried to use the x1 at all times in the buffet area,sometimes we were successful,other times not they don't seem sure themselves when you are able to use it.when we had the tea or coffee at lunchtime we just ordered soft drinks and gave them to the children.

we were talking to one of the waiters and he said it was only the british and americans who seemed to know about the package.

we read so many bad reports before we went that we were a bit apprehensive,but we had a great time,the staff very obliging.

I know it is a while back but in March of 08 we had no problem getting it for 2 adults without getting it for the kids.

We never used it to get anything for our kids and paid if they ordered a soda. It would surprise me if Costa changed its policy with people like a previous poster suggesting you could 'share' it.

I called Costa today regarding the X1 package for our Eastern Med. trip this June. The info I was given was that the X1 package must be purchased at least 14 days prior to sailing through Costa,if you booked directly through them,or through the travel agent if that's how you booked. The cost is $13.95 USD a day.I was told that everyone in the cabin DOES NOT have to purchase the package. If just one person wants to purchase this then that would be ok.

Also I was told that you can bring on alcohol with a corkage fee on trips leaving out of the U.S. but may not bring on any alcohol at embarkment,for onboard consumption( even in your own stateroom),on cruises that leave from any ports in Europe.

Yes, I think it is just in the UK that they are sticking to this. The rule changed only recently. (Not sure how recently but early this year.)

It would also explain why the waiters assumed the children had it too in Tigger's case.

Neither is it dependent on how long you have had the cruise booked for, as I booked about 12 months ago when you could definately buy it per person.

It just seems as if this 'new rule' has not made it across the pond. (yet?)

You can't book it online, you need to ring Costa directly (or ask your TA to do so)

Not sure about the price, but we paid approx £85 per person for 11 nights, so I guess that is roughly $170-$180 for you, so I suspect the $257 is per person.

Just to add, if in the UK, Costa seem adamant that it now must be purchased for all in the cabin, including children. Seems as if it is not universal though, at the moment at least.

Thankyou- I emailed direct and was told that I could purchase it...but am still waiting on pricing details etc.

A silly question probably- but how do you tell the waiter that you have the x1 package...do you get a card or something to flash? :)

Carlz

The X1 package is AUD$257 per person for a 14 day cruise.

Do you know you can also pre order 'wine packages'.?

The Special selection of 10 bottles of water and 5 of wine and 1 sparkling is about AUD$239 including 15% (which is added to everything)

The Classic Short package is 7 bottles of water and 5 of wine for about AUD$177 (incl 15%)

I assume they must give you vouchers for these and you can get them at any time, whereas the X1 is only for meal times.

We have to consider we won't be on board for many of the lunches while we are in port.

We havent' yet decided what to go for.

Hope this helps.

The agent I spoke with said that the waiter who serves you your drink will scan your "sign and sail" card as if you were paying for your drink, but the computer will know not to charge you!-K

Thanks.... sounds like a good system!!

Carlz

The X1 package is AUD$257 per person for a 14 day cruise.

Do you know you can also pre order 'wine packages'.?

The Special selection of 10 bottles of water and 5 of wine and 1 sparkling is about AUD$239 including 15% (which is added to everything)

The Classic Short package is 7 bottles of water and 5 of wine for about AUD$177 (incl 15%)

I assume they must give you vouchers for these and you can get them at any time, whereas the X1 is only for meal times.

We have to consider we won't be on board for many of the lunches while we are in port.

We havent' yet decided what to go for.

Hope this helps.

too many decisions to make!

I've looked at those wine packages too and did consider that many lunches will be spent in ports... but my hubby loves his red wine so I think the x1 will be good value for him! lol

Are you sure it's 257 per person? We must be getting charged alot more than the UK travellers then.... ?

Are you sure it's 257 per person? We must be getting charged alot more than the UK travellers then.... ?

Not really much more. In general we are having a really hard time here in the UK, particulatly abroad, with the £ slumping so badly. I suspect the prices for the drinks packages were locked in at the beginning of the season. With the price locked in & the £ still falling, yes, we are getting a slightly better deal than others in other parts of the world by pre-booking If you work at to-day's exchange rate, we will perhaps pay about 20 Aus $ less over 14 days for the X1, or about 1.35 dollars less per day.

Swings & roundabouts really though ,as everything else, other drinks, transport, tours etc will now cost considerably more for us as everything is priced in euros. My initial spending budget for this upcoming trip..hotel included etc, has risen by several hundred pounds simply due to the very poor exchange rate.

The agent I spoke with said that the waiter who serves you your drink will scan your "sign and sail" card as if you were paying for your drink, but the computer will know not to charge you!-K

On the Costa Card (cabin key) there will be an "X1" displayed. Normally the waiter will only look at the card to confirm that you have the X1 package, I have never had my card swiped for X1 orderes drinks, other drinks, yes.

Ron

The postaman just delivered the Costa 2010 Catalogue, my mouth is already watering.:rolleyes:

First thing I did was to check the X1 "All inclusive - ala Costa" drinks package. On page 49 and page 27 (Useful Information / Onboard / Bar & Drinks / Drinks) it states, the X1 has to be booked by all growups in the cabin, it has to br booked at the same time that the cabin is reserved, has to be paid for with the cruise invoice, it is not currently bookable via the Internet, is NOT available for Mauritius cruises. Avaible for the buffet and restaurants during lunch and dinner, covers wine (glass), beer (glass), soft drinks and mineral water.

Now this is where the confusion with some Costa companies / agents come into play:

On page 37 under Costa Advantage Packets it states X1 - All-inclusive a la Costa, Grownups Euro 12.00 and Children (without wine and beer) Euro 7.50.

Nowhere does it state that children MUST also purchase it.

Ron

Good news for you Ron. :)

However, Costa UK are adamant. It doesn't matter how many times you ring, or how many different people you speak to, moving on to supervisors, quoting from your German brochure etc, they are insistant the rules have changed & it must now be purchased by all, children included, or not at all :(

It seems though, as long as you don't live in the UK, you will be fine. Incidently, the 'all inclusive a la Costa' info doen't appear at all in the UK brochure either.:confused:

Archived