Carnival Freedom 3/8/09 - First Time Cruiser

MelsCruise

Hi Everyone. I'm a first time poster and first time cruiser. This cruise will be a special one to celebrate 24 years of marriage and a 40 something birthday.:D

I've been "cruising" the posts and admit that I get a bit dizzy when trying to find everything I'm looking for. I've spent hours on end trying to find information and for the most part have found everything I needed.... EXCEPT, I am struggling with the shore excursion aspect. I am OK with the Keys and will just do what everyone else does. But then we go to Cayman and Ocho Rios. I'm not overjoyed at Carnival's selection of excursions and thought I would find other vendors to see what they were offering and their prices. This is where I need your help. Where do you go to find other resources for excursions? Is there a place here on this forum? OR where on the WWW can I look for options? OR, as a first time cruiser, would you suggest that I just stick with Carnival's options?

Any and all ideas or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks, Marianne

We are on the same cruise two weeks before you and a friend of mine was on it last week. She said they loved the bobsled, zipline and canopy chair ride in Ocho Rios. In Grand Cayman I recommend you do the sting ray tour (we did the one with Hell and the Turtle Farm last trip).

As to other sources, go to the top of this page and click on Cruise Critic Message Boards (underlined and in red). Then look through the boards for the one that has PORTS OF CALL. Under that you will see ones for KEY WEST, CAYMAN ISLANDS and JAMACIA. These are great sources of information. You can also find ones for EAST COAST DEPARTURES and a sub-one for FLORIDA to get info on Fort Lauderdale.

DaveOKC

Thanks DaveOKC. I appreciate that recommendation. Do you happen to know if Carnival charges for water? We don't do soda so the "fontain card" isn't an option. I understand you can get tea, coffee, etc that is included. I also understand that alcohol of any kind needs to be purchased. But what about good old fashion, plain water? Thoughts?

Marianne

Another good source of cruise information is the ROLL CALL. You can discuss excursions with others who will be on the same cruise. Many will have sailed many times and have cruise experience.

By the way, we sail on the Freedom on 3/14/09 so will be looking for your review.

Thanks DaveOKC. I appreciate that recommendation. Do you happen to know if Carnival charges for water? We don't do soda so the "fontain card" isn't an option. I understand you can get tea, coffee, etc that is included. I also understand that alcohol of any kind needs to be purchased. But what about good old fashion, plain water? Thoughts?

Marianne

Yes, they do charge for bottled water... or it's free from the tap. SOme people refill their bottles from the tap - though - there are many opinions on the quality. People who love it & people who hate it.

Hi Everyone. I'm a first time poster and first time cruiser. This cruise will be a special one to celebrate 24 years of marriage and a 40 something birthday.:D

I've been "cruising" the posts and admit that I get a bit dizzy when trying to find everything I'm looking for. I've spent hours on end trying to find information and for the most part have found everything I needed.... EXCEPT, I am struggling with the shore excursion aspect. I am OK with the Keys and will just do what everyone else does. But then we go to Cayman and Ocho Rios. I'm not overjoyed at Carnival's selection of excursions and thought I would find other vendors to see what they were offering and their prices. This is where I need your help. Where do you go to find other resources for excursions? Is there a place here on this forum? OR where on the WWW can I look for options? OR, as a first time cruiser, would you suggest that I just stick with Carnival's options?

Any and all ideas or suggestions are welcomed. Thanks, Marianne

Hi melscruise! In GC we're doing the Rays, Reef & Rum Point Beach excursion through Native Way Watersports....$62.pp...5 hours...includes lunch...supposed to be excellent!Ocho Rios - I'm booking Dunn's River Falls/Bamboo Beach Club via Carnival.......$75.pp.....5 hours.....all the food/drinks you can eat/drink!!Check these out!!

Last year we brought on a case of water we bought for $5. It sure beats the $3 or so they charge you per bottle.

I agree with the above post about stingray city, turtle farm and Hell in Cayman. We had a great time but in my opinion in the short time your there that is all to do. We did that two years ago and in two months we will be there again and are going to stay on the ship. Going through the tender nightmare is not worth seeing that place aaing.

In Jamacia we want to do Dunn's river falls and tubing and could not do that through Carnival. We booked with Peat Taylor and he can do both a lot less expensive than Carnival.

Have a great cruise.

Archived