Avignon Flight Seeing

queeng

[color=blue]Am still trying to decide what to see in this area. We will be in Marseille for one day. I have read that Aix en Provance is the place to see, or Les Baux or Arles or Avignon or even Cassis. I have contacted a couple of tour guides here but am still undecided. This port is at the end of our cruise and we figure we will be pretty burnt out by then and aren’t into hours of driving but still want to see some of it. I ran across a flight seeing tour that leaves from Avignon. I realize that it is about 1 hour from Marseille to Avignon but it looked so awesome![/color]
[color=blue] [/color]
[color=blue]Has anyone done this? How would we get from Marseille to Avignon? Arrange a transfer? Rent a car (not really a good choice for 2 people who are major directionally challenged) Suggestions? [/color]
[color=blue] [/color]
[color=blue]We did flight seeing trips in Alaska and loved it. Any ideas?[/color]
[color=blue] [/color]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]:confused: [/font][/size]
[size=3][font=Times New Roman]What fun![/font][/size]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Ginger[/size][/font]

I too looked at seeing Avignon when we were planning our day trips, but decided that it would be difficult to get to due to distance and that if we did hire someone to take us there, we'd spend a lot of time in the car and not see as many different places in provence as we'd like. Trains do run out there from Marseille but if you have any trouble (as we did for as simple a trip as Civitevecchia to Rome....) you may miss your boat or be forced to leave really early to make sure you don't... Even with the TGV (fast train) we would only have a few hours there.
Really a private driver is your safest bet, but cost can be very high..up to 400 E for a car day trip. A flight sure does sound like fun though.
Our driver we used for Marseille was excellent and her prices much more reasonable than most. To read my review about her trip and see what we did, please find the link PRIVATE DRIVER REVIEWS- EUROPE PORTS on this board. I have her website link there too.
Aix en Provence is quite close but most people go there...we went to Arles, Tarascon (not many tourists visit here but it has a great old town and incredible castle), and Les Baux (many tourists here but for good reason; great tiny medieval town overlooking rocky hills).

David

Thanks David, I guess going to Avignon is a little ambitious but is just sounded like something different and the flight seeing tour looked beautiful. I am still undecided but thanks for your input. I will look up your earlier post.

Ginger:)

We've spent some time in that area of Europe and think the flightseeing sounds lovely (we had a wonderful time doing that in Alaska, Hawaii, and elsewhere too). BUT I would highly recommend that you combine it with a stop in one of the villages because you'll be able to see a lot by air but it doesn't substitute for wandering around to enjoy the ambience and scenery using your shoe leather.

Hope you have a great time,
Donna

Archived