New to NCL: Specialty Restaurant Atmospher

LadyLuck

Hi Everyone,

We will be taking our first NCL cruise in Mar doing the Mexican Riviera. On the NCL Star, for Le Bistro, is the atmosphere very formal? We would like to try this, and wondering if it will be alright to bring our 2-year-old with us. Is the menu the same for the whole cruise, or does it change every couple of days? Also, is there 2-for-1 specials at all?

Thank you for all your help. If the atmosphere is very formal and children are discouraged, then I would not want to spoil it for others and will just not go.

Hi Everyone,

We will be taking our first NCL cruise in Mar doing the Mexican Riviera. On the NCL Star, for Le Bistro, is the atmosphere very formal? We would like to try this, and wondering if it will be alright to bring our 2-year-old with us. Is the menu the same for the whole cruise, or does it change every couple of days? Also, is there 2-for-1 specials at all?

Thank you for all your help. If the atmosphere is very formal and children are discouraged, then I would not want to spoil it for others and will just not go.

Yes, it is pretty formal ... but I think it depends on how well-behaved your 2 year old is ... as to whether or not you'd want to bring kids in there. We loved the food in there ... so I'd hate for you to miss it.

I believe they have the same menu every night too ... not sure about the 2 for 1 ... maybe the first night, but I don't recall.

Hope you get a chance to enjoy it!

• Administrators

No restaurant on a NCL ship has a "formal" atmosphere -- resort casual is appropriate everywhere onboard. We've dined at LeBistro more than once with men attired in shorts (that's not okay per the (very relaxed) dress code, but they were admitted -- and to be honest we were doing our own thing and didn't "care" about what they were wearing -- we just did "notice" it in the linen tablecloth, crystal, silver cutlery, million dollar art environment of Le Bistro).

LeBistro has fixed menus fleetwide (link to see them -- http://community.webshots.com/album/560294273AFrLxC?vhost=community&action=refreshPhotos&albumID=560294273&security=AFrLxC), and occasionally offers 2-for-1, but it depends on the sailing and how full bookings are. It's very ship specific.

I am sure your 2 year old would be welcome and no problem there -- the only thing I'd consider is whether your 2 year old is used to a dining "experience" which may take a couple of hours. If they are an "old hand" at restaurant dining and you have lots of ways to keep them amused and occupied, I think you will be fine.

Have a great trip!

Hi Everyone,

My take on this: yes, Le Bistro is usually quite formal, both is decor and attitude. It is a typical upscale French restaurant. No, the menu does not change and can or should you bring your 2 year old? Only you can make that decision...Would I, absolutely NOT! In consideration of your child, yourselves and the other guests. I know, some say, you can always take him/her out, which is true, but then you have just ruined your special evening. Now, if your child is accustom to long (maybe a hour and a half of longer dinners) in a formal dining atmosphere and can be content to sit quietly, go for it...2 for 1, hard to say. March is a very high season so my guess in no, but that is simply a guess.

Michell, I think the op was asking about formal, as in atmosphere, not dress code. You are right, dress code, nothing is truely formal on NCL.

Nita

We love to take our children with us and always have. They are 11, 12 14 and 16 now. Personally, however, I would not take them at that age to Le Bistro. It is one of my favorite restaurants, the pace is nice and slow, romantic and just really beautiful-but it does take about 2 hours. I don't think a 2 year old would enjoy it and why put him/her through that? I would wait until the next cruise ;) when he/she will be old enough for kids club and you and your DH can enjoy a fine dining experience alone! Enjoy the cruise!

LeBistro has fixed menus fleetwide (link to see them -- http://community.webshots.com/album/560294273AFrLxC?vhost=community&action=refreshPhotos&albumID=560294273&security=AFrLxC), and occasionally offers 2-for-1, but it depends on the sailing and how full bookings are. It's very ship specific.

Have a great trip!

This is a very outdated menu. Here is a link to a more current menu (plus the next page).

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2645327500100731960SERbMh

PE

No restaurant on a NCL ship has a "formal" atmosphere -- resort casual is appropriate everywhere onboard. We've dined at LeBistro more than once with men attired in shorts (that's not okay per the (very relaxed) dress code, but they were admitted -- and to be honest we were doing our own thing and didn't "care" about what they were wearing -- we just did "notice" it in the linen tablecloth, crystal, silver cutlery, million dollar art environment of Le Bistro).

I am sure your 2 year old would be welcome and no problem there -- the only thing I'd consider is whether your 2 year old is used to a dining "experience" which may take a couple of hours. If they are an "old hand" at restaurant dining and you have lots of ways to keep them amused and occupied, I think you will be fine.

Have a great trip!

Hi all, I know this may sound silly but can you order more than one thing on the menu in Bistro or any other specialty restaurant, or is it just choice of one? We are looking forward to our cruise 10-3--09 on the Jewel for 14 fab nites..Thanks for your help!

We recently cruised with family members including a 20 month old. What we did was all go to the specialty restaurant except one of the parents. He/she looked at the menu ahead of time and we ordered for the parent and the baby. The parent stayed with the child and showed up 30 to 40 minutes later than the rest of us. It wasn't quite as nice as it would have been with everyone there at the same time but it solved the problem of having a toddler bored and hungry while we were all having a leisurely dinner. It is necessary to be traveling with more than two people so you have someone willing to be late due to watching the baby.

Hi all, I know this may sound silly but can you order more than one thing on the menu in Bistro or any other specialty restaurant, or is it just choice of one? We are looking forward to our cruise 10-3--09 on the Jewel for 14 fab nites..Thanks for your help!

you can order as many appitizers, salads etc you want, but only one entree. believe me, the helpings are large enough that I doubt you would want more than one. We sometimes don't even have room for dessert.

Nita

Archived