Afternoon tea on Journey

mrs. jones

Tea on Journey was one of the biggest disappointments of the experience with Azamara. I knew from prior reports to lower my expectations but they weren't low enough! Not quiet sure why they even bother to have it. When it is offered in the dining room you are seated at a table with a tray of pastries, a server delivers a pot of hot water and a selection of tea bags, then disappears. The strangest part of the whole experience is the mysterious substance that is offered as "jam". It was a gelatinous mass of indistinguishable flavor and origin. Quite strange! Maybe tea is not the strong suit of the line, but how the heck do you mess up jam? Open a jar for heaven's sake! Anything would have been an improvement over the mystery glob.

My randomly seated tea mates all agreed that the experience was not only disappointing but strange and perplexing as well.

I went to the tea on Celebrity and it was terrible (and I tried all kinds of pastries). The white gloved friendly servers did not match what was done in the kitchen.

I don't think I have ever had a tea service on any ship (and that includes the grills on Cunard) that compares with either a) the Savoy in London or b) the various hotels we frequent in Beverly Hills (and before that NYC). On the other hand, if there is a warm scone and (identifiable) jam and hot water, I will make the best of it. :)

Thanks for the heads-up on the jam experience-- has anybody else had that experience? We often get the tiny jars when staying at a St. Regis or 4 Seasons, perhaps we will try to collect a few for the trip to take with us. Are there even scones/shortbread to put jam on?

On the other hand, if there is a warm scone and (identifiable) jam and hot water, I will make the best of it. :)

Thanks for the heads-up on the jam experience-- has anybody else had that experience? .... Are there even scones/shortbread to put jam on?

LOL ... I made the best of it too and enjoyed it enough to eat two scones:o with jam and have a cup of tea. I can't remember the quality of the jam ... but I know I would not have bothered with a 2nd one if the first hadn't been worth eating.:)

Thanks for your input. I'm sure that I'll find much to like about Azamara's tea. My disappointment is in only having one day to enjoy it. It became my substitute for lunch on other cruises but I've been delighted to learn that the pool grill serves gyros, another favorite, so I may be switching from an English tradition to a Greek one!

Resurecting an old post on this thread - Gyros?! Can anyone confirm this is still the case? If so, that's where I'll be for my afternoon snack!

LOL ... I made the best of it too and enjoyed it enough to eat two scones:o with jam and have a cup of tea. I can't remember the quality of the jam ... but I know I would not have bothered with a 2nd one if the first hadn't been worth eating.:)

Sounds like I will be OK, if not blown away.

Archived