Biggest RCI/Cruise/Passenger Pet Peeve

Atty

People who swirl napkins - very unhygenic and bad manners

I would go on about how rude people from a certain country can be (although many are polite, but it seems the minority spoil it for the majority) - but I might get shouted down ;)

Waiters who insist on singing and marching - when I am waiting for food to be served.

On RCCL the waiters sing and march while clapping (after meals are served) and the guests raise their napkins high in the air and swirl them! Some of us actually clap and sing along. It is one big fun party. :D :eek::D

Yes it is open seating but I would prefer to sit alone. Sometimes people will come and sit in one of the chairs at your table. This is understandable on embarkation day when everyone is in WJ at the same time but during the cruise, I find it annoying, especially if there are other tables available.

Yea....it's like being the only ones on a 10 mile long beach, and having the next people come along and sit right next to us.:D

I am another who may look perfectly capable of walking up the stairs instead of taking an elevator up 1 or 2 flights, but I am not able to do the stairs, I have lung problems, and I have tried a few times to do the stairs, and even after taking my time and going real slow ( I probably get some people mad because I am in their way going too slow on the stairs) but I can hardly catch my breath after going up 1 flight. And people would not know that, by looking at me, thinking I am too lazy to take the stairs. So you can not always tell if someone has a problem, and that is why they are taking the elevator for going up 1 DECK.

People who's only sailing experiences has been on a Cruise Ships, and become salty seasoned deck ape sailors and know the Nautical differences such as Ship-Boat. (because wikipedia says so?)

I have been in the US Navy, served on LARGE and SMALL SHIPS from mine sweepers to carriers, and AFFECTIONATELY I called them BOATS. My Boat. But you should not be disrespectful and it would be better to refer to my boat as a ship. Especially in the presence of any of it's captain or crew.

maybe not so much a peeve as an annoyance:

neighbours on their balcony moaning, whining, complaining about my cigarette smoke, loud enough to make their point, slamming their balcony door, etc., in the hopes of, what's the word I'm looking for, oh yeah, intimidating me :eek:(I suppose that behaviour isn't considered rude?)

or

as I sit and enjoy my pre-dinner cocktail with fellow cruisers and/or friends in the CL, have someone make inaccurate observations of "mooching free stuff" or camping out:confused:

Overloading food

I so despise people who load up on food like there won't be any left in 5 minutes. And then only take a bite here and there and the rest goes into the garbage.

I, too, eat on a cruise like I will be starving for the next 20 years. But I rather go twice or three times instead walking around with 3 plates and a mountain of food on each of them, just to realize "oh I wasn't really that hungry".

Boat...boat? Boat! :eek:

It is a friggin' ship. Minor thing, but one of my pet peeves.

Beyond that, I just laugh, have a good time and wonder how people can be so tense on a cruise that they continue to shove and push, whine, moan, complain....

:D

I agree. Plates overflowing with food and the majority of it left! I had a 'friend' who always did this at buffets. Her justification was she was going to get her moneys worth! Give me a break

neighbours on their balcony moaning, whining, complaining about my cigarette smoke, loud enough to make their point, slamming their balcony door, etc., in the hopes of, what's the word I'm looking for, oh yeah, intimidating me :eek:(I suppose that behaviour isn't considered rude?)

And your continuing to smoke on the balcony is not rude?

Why should it be? It is allowed.

Melbur - It's an attitude like yours that causes rules to be changed. If smokers (who are the minority on the ship) can't be considerate of non-smokers on their neighboring balconys, then more non-smokers (who are the majority) will complain and eventually this policy will change. We've certainly seen this happen in other areas on the ship.

For some reason, I did not realize Cigarettes were allowed on the balcony......this would stop me for booking a balcony.

So to stick with the topic then my pet peeve is smoking on the balcony. The one allergy I have is cigarette smoke and this would be bad.

I have no "attitude" - I spend little time on the balcony, as I'm usually elsewhere on the ship, but certainly doing what is allowed shouldn't be considered rude.

Case in point - one couple nicely asked if I would stop smoking as it was bothering their children, we complied whenever possible, as I'm not into ruining someone else's vacation.

Agree - we also smoke on the balcony - but if we get a polite request from a fellow cabin then we will take their request seriously and do our best not to affect them (thinking of wind direction etc.)

We are also aware of smoke when in a smoking area - I hate it blowing too close to another guest and will control it so that it does not affect others.

Archived