X-Ray question (security)

bluefins

We have cruised before, but are going with some friends who are cruising for the first time. A couple of questions have come up that I don't know the answer to.

1. She always carries a small pair of scissors (4 inch) in her purse. Will they allow those through security when we board?

2. Does prescription medicine have to be in it's original bottle or can it be put into one of those pill boxes that is sorted by day?

3. (This is just out of curiosity) Is the checked luggage (that the porters take) x-rayed?

Thanks,

Darla

We have cruised before, but are going with some friends who are cruising for the first time. A couple of questions have come up that I don't know the answer to.

1. She always carries a small pair of scissors (4 inch) in her purse. Will they allow those through security when we board?

2. Does prescription medicine have to be in it's original bottle or can it be put into one of those pill boxes that is sorted by day?

3. (This is just out of curiosity) Is the checked luggage (that the porters take) x-rayed?

Thanks,

Darla

For the Ship:

1. Should't have a problem with the sissors.

2. You should still bring you susbscription bottles with you. I think that is what I read on the Carnival website once.

3. Not clear on this, it may depend on the port. Some may have the big xray machines to pass it though, others may just use dogs and random searches.

The cruise line doesn't care how you bring your prescription drugs on board. Customs officials may care when you return. That is why bringing the bottles is recommended. If your friend brings just what she needs for the cruise itself, Customs is a moot point.

I always bring scissors as well as a Swiss army knife and a multi-tool in my checked luggage. As far as I know they are all allowed and noone has ever said boo to me about them.

All checked baggage goes through a security check before being loaded on the ship. The exact nature of the check can vary by port but isn't publicly stated anywhere I know of. I assume that is for security reasons.

Thanks,

Darla

I wouldn't stand too close to your friend with the sissors if she goes through TSA at an airport with those in her purse !

I always carry scissors and finally going thru security in Long Beach they stopped me and took them out. They measured them to make sure they were not over 4" and gave them back.

Now I just always put them in checked luggage even if I don't fly. Just don't like the hassle.

She could not give me the reasoning behind this..........just said new rules:rolleyes:

Keep your med bottles close by, especially if you are carrying a narcotic. I have a few for pain management and if you are caught carrying them outside the bottle it can be an illegal carry situation. For those with legal prescriptions it is at most an inconvenience and scary situation--for those with no proof of prescription it is usually a trip to jail if caught. Again, depends on the medication and to be safe have your prescription close at hand.

Thanks,

Darla

If she is flying, those scissors need to be in her checked luggage or they will be confiscated.

If her prescription drugs are controlled substances, they should remain in their original packaging. Wouldn't hurt to have a doctor's note or copy of prescription.

Luggage is x-rayed to my knowledge...

Hope this helped.

Dee

Archived