Tiger Kingdom Chiang Mai Thailand

Miss Jolly

I have been trying to decide whether our family should visit Tiger Temple or the Safari Park when we visit Kanchanaburi as my teenage daughter would love to play with some tiger cubs. However, we will be spending 3 days in Chiang Mai before we go to Bangkok and I have just been reading about Tiger Kingdom in Chiang Mai. Has anyone been there and if so what can you tell me about it? Can you visit without having a meal? Is it more appropriate to visit there then the other 2 places? Thank you for any advice or opinion.

I haven't personally been here as it's a relatively new place, but am always interested to read what others say...

like everything, you need to make up your own mind...

here's one person's take on it.

I have just returned from a trip to Chiang Mai, including a visit to the Tiger Kingdom. My advice is - stay away from this horrible place!!! The tigers there are in small, concrete cages, and have to be drugged to withstand the abuse that they take from both the staff and the visitors.

When we were there, one visitor was allowed to actually PUNCH one of the tigers. Also, there were four tigers in the same concrete cage where tourists were being brought in to take their photos, etc. They were all sleeping or acting extremely lethargic, barely even moving when one of the young tiger handlers pinched them, slapped them, or poked the insides of their mouth with their sticks.

The only time the tigers reacted to any of their mistreatment was when one of the handlers, who looked to be in his late teens, gestured for the tourists to watch him, and then took down a folded up piece of chain link fence. He then shook the metal so that it made a loud clanging sound, which caused all four of the tigers to immediately leap up and run away, looking absolutely terrified. (Mind you, this is after they had been ignoring pinches, punches, and the like for over an hour!) The handler just laughed at their response. I could hardly believe my eyes.

The only thing that would generate that kind of reaction is for the tigers to associate that sound with some serious pain, causing me to believe that the keepers use the metal to beat the tigers.

In sum, this place is absolutely horrible and I would ask that anyone who is concerned with the well-being of these truly majestic animals - please - don't support this kind of abuse by giving Tiger Kingdom any business.

Please, please, Miss Jolly DO NOT take your lovely children to anywhere in Thailand that has live animals. While the Thai people are extremely friendly, they do not appear to have any concept whatsoever of animal welfare. Thailand, as I'm sure you know, is a relatively poor country and animals come well down in the pecking order. While Western tourists continue to pay to visit and photograph these poor creatures, conditions will never improve. If visitors are allowed to touch and fondle tigers then they are most certainly drugged. These are extremely dangerous animals both in the wild and even in safari parks here in the UK visitors must stay in their vehicles when driving through enclosures. Why spoil an otherwise wonderful holiday by viewing, and adding to, the misery of these pitiful creatures? Our enforced visit to Nong Nooch ( thanks to Princess) after our recent cruise is an abiding and horrible memory.

• 8 months later...

Archived