Vatican question

We will be staying in Rome a day early for our cruise. We get in one morning and leave the next afternoon ship leaves at 5:00... We are also staying the day we get back and leaving the next morning.

Question:

Should we go to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, etc. the morning BEFORE the cruise? Or when we get back?

I didn't know if there was enough time to get to the port " comfortably" after touring the Vatican for 3 hours...

** We have RIL as our tour guides for the day we get in and taking us to port the next day so transportation is not an issue **

We would also like to do the Scavi tour the day we get in (if we get tickets)..

Any thoughts... suggestions appreciate...

Thanks

Sorry to disagree, but those Med itineraries are exhausting. Personally I would do it before, when I am fresh. If you did an early AM tour on the date of sailing you would have plenty of time to get to the port. It only takes about a hour by train to get to Civitavecchia from San Pietro station, then 10 minutes max walking to the shuttles and 5-7 minutes to the ship. If you're departing at 5, you could leave Rome between 1 and 2 and have plenty of time even if taking the train. I have done it many times.

If you make a reservation for the Vatican Museums, you will not have to wait in line. Here is the info: http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html. If you do this, be sure to exit the Sistine Chapel by the back RIGHT door, which will take you right around to St. Peter's without having to backtrack all the way.

Cathy

I was definitely exhausted when I got back after our Med cruise for 3 days in Rome. I guess it's a toss-up: jet-lag versus traveler's fatigue. :D

I think you'd have time to do the Vatican Museum and the Sistine chapel in the morning. You probably want to head down to the port by 1:00 or so. You can purchase tickets online to avoid the line; 3 hours in the museum (including the Sistine) is usually enough for most people!

Archived