corkage fee?

39august

In all the years we have sailed, we have never been charged a corkage fee when we bring a bottle of wine to our table already opened. The wines we bring are from the Napa Valley or Monterey area and they aren't available on the ship. For drinking by the pool or spa, we like the 2-buck Chuck that we get at Trader Joes. We bring plenty and we have even given bottles of wine away to tables around us towards the end of the cruise.

I would never take an opened bottle of wine to a restuarant. It's illegal to have an open alcoholic container in your car, and it's also not a good idea to drive under the influence.

Do not quite understand... You would never take an open bottle of wine to a resturant but you would going to the dining room on the ship. I would think that the same rule of etiquette applies to both.

Wow...if Princess ever reads this thread, we'd be out of luck.

Most of the time, we are not charged corkage. I leave what I would have paid in corkage as an additional tip to the waiter and assistant. The service is almost always exceptional. The exception being a surly waiter on the Diamond: we switched to PC, one of many reasons we did so.

I have brought an open bottle to the table many times. Not to save money on corkage but to air the wines for a couple hours prior to drinking. I don't know of the condition of the wines I buy in Florida etc. so by breathing a while, they get a little air and taste better.

I avoid the Maitre D's eye. On one cruise, he was the one who made sure that we were charged corkage according to the waiter, although he didn't charge again by the end of the cruise. (We had bought a mixed case in Bordeaux)

There's no need to hide your wine. It's OK on Princess. Just fill up your rollerboard and walk right on board!!!

I have brought an open bottle to the table many times. Not to save money on corkage but to air the wines for a couple hours prior to drinking. I don't know of the condition of the wines I buy in Florida etc. so by breathing a while, they get a little air and taste better.

QUOTE]

Do not want to be disrespectful but this is kinda an old wife's tale. To properly areate the wine, it should be slowly poured into a wine decanter. Just opening a bottle even for a few hours will not let enough air in to make a difference.

Archived