Has anyone been denied admittance to the dinning room because of their attire?

sotadragon

Just wondering since the jeans debate is alive again and Kristikae mentioned that she hadn't seen anyone post about this and I hadn't either. So, please tell us your stories! (if there are any)
Back in the day aboard the *old* CCL ships Carnivale and Festivale, it was quite common. The "suggested" dress code actually meant something.

Yes, when we sailed on the Holiday back in April there was a young man waiting outside the dining room with shorts, flip flops and tee on. As he entered he was told that he could not enter and would have to change into proper attrie. That was the only time. He was not happy but did go back to his cabin and change.

elwhaite,

I am sad to report that on the second "formal night" - I saw one gentleman come in to the dinning room, wearing old jeans and a t-shirt and no one objected.

This gives new meaning to the term "formal night!!

Tom

In the late 80's my husband and I and 2 other couples cruised on the Home Lines "Atlantic". My husband and one of our traveling companions were dressed in a sports shirt and dress pants, they were told they needed a sports jacket in the dining room. This was sailing night.......So back to the cabin to get it....

I wish they would inforce no jeans or shorts. It's fun to dress up. There aren't many places where you can dress up anymore.

Gingee, it becomes apparent WHY there aren't many places the more you read :rolleyes: The people make it "okay", it starts with ONE person that decides "it's my vacation, I'll do what I want" and pays no attention to the atmosphere. Carnival should not even have to publish "suggested guidelines" for dress in a dining room where they serve you a 5 course meal, white tablecloths, full table settings, men and women serving in formal attire, where they are serving such wonderful food... I know that in restaurants similar to that around here, you wouldn't get through the door in some of the attire I have seen in the dining rooms. The more people that try to push the envelope, the more people will look around and say "i saw others do it, i'll do it too", next thing you know, the dining room on Carnival will resemble a cafeteria... :rolleyes:

Only once have I seen anyone denied entrance to the dining room. That was on the Legend and a young woman in a swimsuit and coverup was not allowed in to the dining room at lunch. I'd love to see the Maitre D show a little backbone and refuse entrance to everyone who was not dressed properly.

I got yelled at on formal night, because I took an elevator down from the pool, around 6:30, and some of the CD's staff got in, and told me to go change into something good on formal night. I found this extremely offensive, so I let them know where I was going, next and I just got out of the pool.

In my opinion, the only night that the dress code should not be enforced is departure night especially if the departure was delayed.

I will admit that I have worn slacks over a dry swimsuit and gone to dinner. The plan was to hit the hot tub after dinner. :D

Thank you to everyone who's responded so far, I enjoy hearing cruise stories, even if they aren't necessarily very happy, and it's good to know that the Maitre'D sometimes does tell people when they're not dressed properly.

Sorry, Kristikae, I didn't mean to miss quote you. I must have read your post wrong. :o

coold8: I'm sorry to hear that you got told off for how you were dressed when you'd just gotten out of the pool. I don't think that was very professional of the staff, though I suspect there's a chance they may have thought they were being "funny" and just "joking" with you.

Why do people care so much what others wear to the dining room on non-formal nights? Carnival seems to have a more "casual" reputation than other lines - always has, so naturally passengers are not going to dress up as much.

That was one of the reasons why my extended family selected a cruise with Carnival over Thanksgiving this year! People at Cruise Critic seem far more concerned with what people wear to dinner than the people who cruise with Carnival.

It's been a while since we cruised with Carnival; however our last Carnival cruise was very casual. Formal night wasn't even as dressy as we are accustomed to on other cruise lines. People dressed nicely, but I saw very few tuxedos and long gowns.

Wearing jeans to dinner was never an issue. People seem to dress as they would to go out to dinner. Do people wear jeans when they go out? You bet.

I am missing where it is stated that jeans are not allowed in the dining room. I know shorts and tank tops but no where was it stated about jeans.

I do know on our voyager cruise a guy came to the dining room each night wearing horts--until Wed.. even the formal night--because his luggage was not found until Wed. He was allowed in the dining room and nothing was said.

And we wonder WHY Carnival has a casual reputation????? And gets more casual all the time?? Because more and more people have the attitude of "I don't feel like dressing up, I'll wear what I want, it's my vacation... screw Carnival and their stinking suggested guidelines, who are THEY to tell me what to wear" Yet let most of those same people go to a formal restaurant at home, and they will either a) dress appropriately or b) not be allowed through the door.

Sure, it is the "Party Ship", but they also have always had suggested attire. I still look at pictures from my parents cruise a decade ago and people were very dressed. Although, I will say that my last 2 cruises were the same way... LOTS of tuxedos and mainly suits... just a handful that were underdressed. The more and more people push the envelope, the more and more people will call the ships a floating wal mart... Most of the people I saw were dressed for the occasion... once again, a formal dining room, you dress appropriately... In my opinion.

Maybe Carnival should just do away with a formal dining room and just put in a Mickey D's and Golden Corrall.

I like the dressing up. I teach school and never get to wear "sparkly" stuff much! Besides, it seems people act like they are dressed... the dressier, the nicer, politer, etc. I know my students are better behaved when they dress nicer than when its flip flops and shorts!!

Just my humble opinion..... that and $.50 will get you a coke out of the machine in my teachers workroom!

Serene, you are right. They don't state that jeans are not allowed, but they also don't include them in their list of "suggested attire" either... which means I am wearing my buttless chaps :D LOL!!!!

I could care less what anyone wears... I personally love the atmosphere in the dining room, and hope that more and more people don't start dressing down... I think it takes away from the "glamour" of cruising.. Just MHO of course.

Archived