GCT daily programs - Christmas Markets

skyview851

• 2 months later...

AZPam - you have mentioned on other threads how much you enjoyed the Christmas Market Cruise. Please let us know what line, ship, dates, and weather. Also what ports did you like the most, etc. I hope I am not asking for too much info...MDH said the cruises this year are at great prices and we are now considering a Christmas cruise for this year. Thanks in advance for the info!:)

AZPam - you have mentioned on other threads how much you enjoyed the Christmas Market Cruise. Please let us know what line, ship, dates, and weather. Also what ports did you like the most, etc. I hope I am not asking for too much info...MDH said the cruises this year are at great prices and we are now considering a Christmas cruise for this year. Thanks in advance for the info!:)

My mom and I have done the Grand Circle Basel to Amsterdam on the Rhine twice. Once on the Ravel and once on the Harmony. Both times the boat left right at the first of December and both times have done the pre trip in Basel which had us leaving the last few days in November. This past year we took 15 women with us, so thats why we did a repeat. Felt it covered so many different countries/cultures on one trip.

Date are important to me. We tried to book with only one weekend on the trip as we found Saturdays every city is full to bursting and Sunday's most everything is closed. Be sure you aren't in a port stop in a city you really want to see on a Sunday because nothing will be open! You can't go too early or too late as the markets open right around Dec 1st and close right around the 24th, with some variations of course. Also with leaving early in December we were back by mid December in time for Christmas parties and last minute shopping for the holiday. Both times I have left with my house decorated, most shopping done and anything that had to be mailed already sent. I was extremely happy both times that I was that organized on my return!

Weather was totally different both trips, so it's the luck of the draw. 1st time was just about perfect, but a bit chilly. No rain, just cloudy days. I'd say most days were in the 40's, but perfectly acceptable if dressed properly. This past year the weather was a bit colder, lots of rain and wind. Temps more in the mid 30's most days plus wind chill. Actually had to wear the long johns a few days! Had snow in Switzerland one day, but that just made it more special. If you really want to get into snow, I think the Danube trip is your better bet. Keep in mind, I live in the Phoenix area, so my blood is pretty thin and I'm not used to very cold temps.

Ports are very subjective and it depends on what you like to do. I'm not into seeing every museum and cathedral at every stop. I'd much rather go shopping! Switzerland is still my all time favorite and this time we took the train from Basel to Lucern one day on our own during the pre trip. All stops in France are just fabulous. Like Germany too and would say Cologne is my favorite. The cathedral there is fantastic and so is the shopping! :D If you want to experience Amsterdam you will have to do the post trip because all you really get to see is the airport. We did arrive early evening prior to departure day and they took those that wanted to go on a walking trip to the red light district, but it was about an hour walk, was raining cats and dogs and I had to depart at 4am, so I didn't go.

I made up a disc when we put this past trip together that has a bunch of pics etc on it. If you would like one, email me your address. I think I have a few left. pamDOTfreemanDOTolmsteadATjunoDOTcom

I highly recommend the Christmas Markets trip!

• 6 months later...

Soooo sorry that I didn't see this post earlier! The beds on the GCT ships are sofabeds, and as far as beds go, ours were very comfortable. I've had worse beds on cruise ships! As sofas, they leave a lot to be desired. We usually sat in the lounge to read or watch the scenary. The cabin sofa was just too uncomfortble to sit at for very long.

Soooo sorry that I didn't see this post earlier! The beds on the GCT ships are sofabeds, and as far as beds go, ours were very comfortable. I've had worse beds on cruise ships! As sofas, they leave a lot to be desired. We usually sat in the lounge to read or watch the scenary. The cabin sofa was just too uncomfortble to sit at for very long.

A terrific way to get folks to mingle in the public areas! :)

Archived