Mud Volcano in Cartagena

mustanglvr

I've been to Cartagena and Santa Maria and seen most of the recommended sites, so I'm interested in something different/new. Princess has an excursion called Mud Volcano & Scenic Drive and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this Mud Volcano and/or has visited it? I've never seen it mentioned before.

Thanks, John:D

• 3 weeks later...
I've been to Cartagena and Santa Maria and seen most of the recommended sites, so I'm interested in something different/new. Princess has an excursion called Mud Volcano & Scenic Drive and I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this Mud Volcano and/or has visited it? I've never seen it mentioned before.

Thanks, John:D

Friends of ours took the Coral Jan 6th. They did the Mud Volcano and liked it. I am trying to get more deatils, as we are supposed to go over to their place on the 20th. I will bookmark this thread and see what I can find out.

• 4 weeks later...

I did this excursion last month on the Coral Princess. It was a lot of fun. It took about an hour to get there. We got to see some of the old city and then drive along the coast. Then you get to some really poor areas where people are living in little huts and there is a lot of garbage. Very sad.

At the volcano, you go up the very steep steps (could be problematic for someone with bad knees). You get into the mud and the locals rub you down. It has the consistency of pudding and makes you very bouyant. Once you are in, it is hard (and humorous) to try to get upright. Once you are out, you go down the steep steps, and head to the lagoon where there are ladies who help you rinse the mud off.

My skin felt really good for several days. It was really fun and very different from every other excursion I have ever done. I definitely recommend it.

Rebecca

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The mud volcano is called "Volcan del Totumo." I've been there several times (I was born in Colombia and lived there until I was 17) and I have to say it's one of the places where I'd like to take my American friends to see something different. It is just such a surreal experience! You climb it and go into the crater and you don't really swim a whole lot because you sort of float in the mud. You laugh at each other being covered in mud and then walk off to a nearby river or lagoon (can remember) to wash off. Taking a photo inside the crater is a bit hard from what I remember but may be worth it. Once you come out and are covered in mud is definately a great group picture opportunity. I would suggest to bring a pair of plastic sandals you can get mud on to walk to the river because I remember getting my feet hurt with thorns that had fallen from the trees when I tried to do it bare foot. Oh yeah I think some people will offer to massage you, I never got a massage but if you are into it, it'll probably be a possibility. They will also try to sell you a bottle of mud. They say the mud is good for your skin. Maybe! :p

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Island and this tour was the highlight of the cruise. It is about an hr so go thru the ship excursion. There are not many people that go. We had a 12 pax van. Had great tour on the way. When you arrive there is a guide that will take all pax cameras and then take pictures. He gives them back at the bottom. No problems. You leave all money on the bus and then they will come on the bus for a tip or for you to pay if you got a soda or beer. One person gets the tips so you dont carry anything with you. Once again the highlight of the cruise.

I was in Cartagena last spring, but not on a cruise. On one of our days we did hire a taxi for the day to drive us around -- to the monastery, up the coast to a beachfront restaurant for lunch (I forget the name of the little village -- check the Lonely Planet guidebook for Colombia), and to the mud volcano. It was no problem at all and we negotiated at a taxi stand to find a driver who gave a good price and understood enough English to get us to where we wanted to go. We had a great day. The mud volcano was definitely unique!!

• 2 months later...
It's not a "park", so I'm not quite sure what that means. Here are some pics. We went there by taxi in April 2009. There are some videos of the mud volcano ("Totumo") on youtube.

I have watched the videos and we are going to do this on our trip in April. A few questions:

1. What was the taxi fare to/from?

2. Is there an entry fee when you get there?

3. Someone mentioned tips; who, when, how much?

4. After you bathe in the river/lagoon, is there a place to change so we don't get in the taxi wet and nasty?

5. Any unique places to stop on your way back?

Thanks for any clarification

1. We were not on a cruise, and had hired a taxi driver for the day to take us to several places including the mud volcano. We had the driver for the entire day, and I can't really remember now what we paid -- maybe $40 - $50.

2. There is a very small village next to the volcano, and as I remember there is a ticket booth where you buy the ticket to go in the volcano. I was the official "picture taker" and didn't pay but climbed up the steps and watched and photographed.

3. After you come down the steps all covered with mud, you walk down a slight incline to the lagoon. It's a good idea to have cheap flip flops to wear that you don't mind getting wet and muddy because it is somewhat rocky and hard on the feet to walk there barefoot. A woman in the water helps you wash off the mud which is helpful since it's hard to scrub your own back. She did ask for a tip, and I really don't remember what we gave her -- a few coins. Many of the people are very poor, so whatever you can give to help them out is appreciated.

4. I don't remember seeing any place to change clothes. It was so hot when we were there that it doesn't take long to dry off! We had brought a towel to dry off with and to sit on in the taxi.

5. This was our last stop of the day and we returned to the old city afterwards. On the way to the volcano, we did stop at a fishing village for lunch. I can't remember the name of it now, but I think it started with a B. There is a long line of restaurants on the beach and you sit at plastic tables on the sand. The beach isn't the greatest -- kind of dirty and gray -- but you can have some good fried fish, coconut rice, and fried plantains for lunch. Just don't pay the first "gringo price" you are given. There are no menus, and they start off with an expensive price and negotiate down from there.

***A good resource for information about Cartegena is the Lonely Planet Colombia guidebook. ***

***A good resource for information about Cartegena is the Lonely Planet Colombia guidebook. ***

But make sure it is the 2009 version of the guide book. The writer of the previous version has never even been here. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

We are going to do this on our trip in April. A few questions:

1. What was the taxi fare to/from?

2. Is there an entry fee when you get there?

3. Someone mentioned tips; who, when, how much?

4. After you bathe in the river/lagoon, is there a place to change so we don't get in the taxi wet and nasty?

5. Any unique places to stop on your way back?

Thanks for any clarification.

Archived