Cruises Get Shorter; Travelers Wait Longer to Book

JanineM

Here's a report from our local paper, Florida Today, about cruising.

In essence, it says that the cruise lines are keeping cabins full by offering shorter cruises, and that pax are waiting longer to book (we all knew that!).

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090125/BUSINESS/901250315/1003&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

In essence, it says that the cruise lines are keeping cabins full by offering shorter cruises, and that pax are waiting longer to book (we all knew that!).

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090125/BUSINESS/901250315/1003&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

Yet another fine example of Florida Today reporting.

Glad to see that Sovereign of the Seas is back sailing from PC, just a shame I wont get C&A credits when I sail her, as she is now owned by Norweigen:confused::eek::rolleyes:

To bad RCCL doesn't have a ship to do three and four day out of Galveston. Wish they would keep the Voyager there full time and alternate from the seven day to an even longer eleven day backed by a three day. Not everyone can get off for seven days. Not sure how full the Splendour sailed all of the time, but I did notice that the Voyager was completely full on the sailing that is pulling out today. They did have to drop prices, but not as low as some other ports.

Yet another fine example of Florida Today reporting.

Glad to see that Sovereign of the Seas is back sailing from PC, just a shame I wont get C&A credits when I sail her, as she is now owned by Norweigen:confused::eek::rolleyes:

I didn't even notice that! (Guess you can tell that I hadn't had my coffee when I read the paper this morning :p )

But I think their thesis is correct. Fewer people are willing to spend the bucks needed for a seven-nighter, but they will consider a weekend cruise, especially with prices below $100 a night. And I personally know no one who is booking summer vacations now. They are all taking a wait and see attitude, rather than committing $$ when they may not have a job!

Hi WaterBaby.....How you like these chilly tempertures we are having, earlier in the week my yard looked like Casper threw up all over it!!!! Thank goodness it is finally warming up.....:D

And I personally know no one who is booking summer vacations now. They are all taking a wait and see attitude' date=' rather than committing $$ when they may not have a job![/quote']

We're booked...but are ready to pull the plug on it before final payment. I need the prices to come down on it AND airfare needs to get better AND we need to get some form of warm and fuzzies about the economy/DH's job before making that final commitment. In other words, we're treading very lightly at this point.

I'll save my money and get one Long cruise..just booked a 9 night-er.

I agree. Short cruises aren't of much interest to me. I have sailed a few 4 nighters and a couple of 5 nighters but usually I want at least 7 nights.

I guess if the port was close enough to drive to, I might take more shorter cruises but the airfare is too high for a short cruise......

I never book far out anyway....usually 2/3 months prior to the cruise date. I find the prices lower the closer to the cruise in most cases. At least for me, sailing solo in a balcony.

Archived