NCL Gem to W. Med 1st Cruise & LOTS of Questions!!

travelsojourner

I finally did it and booked my first cruise (well, I was on the Silja ferry cruise last year but that doesn't REALLY count lol).

I have many questions & hoping some kind people can help. I have been to Europe a few times on my own and like the freedom of "doing my own thing" so being on the ship is a concern, also I am hoping the excursions can pack in what I want without feeling "herded". OK...so whew, here are my questions..

I am mid-30s single, going solo on Norwegian Gem. Is this a decent cruise for my age range? Do they have any activities geared toward singles like I read about for RCCl and/or Carnival at night or first day (not that I mind being solo, but might be nice to meet some new people who aren't already with family/friends). What kinds of activites do they plan? Do they have evening activities? Classes/workshops?

Is it hard to get dining for 1 in the restaurants (I am not big on buffets so hoping to get to the sit down places - also is there a sit, down one outside that is not buffet style?).

Which restaurants on Gem W. Med cruise have cover charge? Most specifically interested in Tequilas and the Italian one - have heard different things, the NCL rep on phone I thought said there was, reading online I don't see there is - also how much are these 2 places?). How much are normal drink prices ie martini/cosmo or then a vodka/cran? Also just buying a single bottle of club soda/seltzer? I am wondering if I would be better off not buying the drink package - I drink mostly bottled seltzer/club soda @ home. Can you bring seltzer and or regular sodas on board? Have read conflicting things and just don't want a problem boarding.

Spa - heard about the "pass" what does it get you? Worth it? I don't use hot tubs, but saw the stone chairs and they looked nice. Is there always a wait? I know they limit # sell but still few chairs. I would like to use after the long day/before dinner but prb time others would too... Also, for massages, does anyone know prices on those? How/when to book? Adult pool - is it nice/full? Lounge pool chairs - can you ever find a place to sit???

Rooms- I have and "obstructed oceanview" on deck 8. Would anyone know about these? Are they horrible? They said it's "partial" I guess and for the price it was much cheaper than the regular ocean which was on deck 5.

Excursions - I am so confused on this on. I normall do my own planning in Europe but missing the boat makes me nervous. I know the train is wonderful but I just keep thininking "what if I can't find the station, what if something happens.." should I just buck up and pay extra for their excursions esp in Rome? I was planning to get train then do the tour in city myself to save and get more time on my own.

Malta - any of theirs you rec? Naples - I am leaning toward the Amalfi & Pompei one - any thoughts? I wanted the one with Capri/Sorrento but read toooo many stories of people getting sick on the hydrofoil and seeing someone sick would ruin it for me ugh! Livorno - Thiniking of Pisa/Florence trip they have $$ but think for time it might get the most in, would love to drink wine in Tuscany too but not enough time! Any other better recs there to get things in? Thinking the Monaco/Eze on for the last stop (saw Eze on Sam Brown's show a few years ago) any recs here?? Nice looks good too though....

Would anyone know of a private tour person who might charge LESS than the NCL tours for 1 person?? Most are very $ because based on 3-4 people. Being single sucks for cruising :(

I am staying 2 extra night in Barcelona @ Hotel Jazz - any other recs that might be cheaper? How do I get to the port from hotel & then back? Taxi best? Cost? Does anyone know if the airport bus pick up in a.m. FROM where you drop off? I guess I will be taking that in as it's the cheapest forme of transport.

Any recs for good restaurants in Barcelona?

ANY and ALL help for info would be so greatly appreciated!!

I finally did it and booked my first cruise (well, I was on the Silja ferry cruise last year but that doesn't REALLY count lol).

I have many questions & hoping some kind people can help. I have been to Europe a few times on my own and like the freedom of "doing my own thing" so being on the ship is a concern, also I am hoping the excursions can pack in what I want without feeling "herded". OK...so whew, here are my questions..

I am mid-30s single, going solo on Norwegian Gem. Is this a decent cruise for my age range? Yes! You will enjoy it. Do they have any activities geared toward singles like I read about for RCCl and/or Carnival at night or first day (not that I mind being solo, but might be nice to meet some new people who aren't already with family/friends). What kinds of activites do they plan? Do they have evening activities? Classes/workshops? Yes, a wide variety, yes, and yes. Make sure that you keep an eye on the dailies.they are indespensible. Also..go to the CC Meet & Greet. You will meet a lot of people and gain a lot of knowledge (get the info from the Roll Call).

Is it hard to get dining for 1 in the restaurants Absolutely not. In fact, it might be easier! (I am not big on buffets so hoping to get to the sit down places - also is there a sit, down one outside that is not buffet style?). Yes...but not in the sense you are thinking.

Which restaurants on Gem W. Med cruise have cover charge? At this point all but the main dining rooms, the buffet, the blue lagoon, great outdoors, and those by the pool. Most specifically interested in Tequilas and the Italian one - have heard different things, the NCL rep on phone I thought said there was, reading online I don't see there is - also how much are these 2 places?). I believe both have a $10 cover now. How much are normal drink prices ie martini/cosmo or then a vodka/cran? Can you bring seltzer and or regular sodas on board? Have read conflicting things and just don't want a problem boarding. A normal amount of soda/seltzer/bottled water is not a problem.

Rooms- I have and "obstructed oceanview" on deck 8. Would anyone know about these? Are they horrible? They said it's "partial" I guess and for the price it was much cheaper than the regular ocean which was on deck 5. They are "partial" because of the lifeboats. Different rooms have different views. Just remember, you can always go outside and have a great view!

I answered what I could above. Hopefully others will fill in the blanks.

One other thing...they will offer 2-for-1 pricing in the speciality restaurants at times...as a single, you should get 1/2 price. Just look for this in the dailies.

Enjoy your vacation!

If you haven't already, you need to join the roll call and you might find some other single travellers. Pompei is interesting if you really like ruins. But it is huge and a long afternoon if you don't. It would be easy to find a driver to take you down the Amalfi coast and see some of the charming little towns and still get back in time to do a little of Pompei. Capri gets really crowded. IMHO Pisa isn't that exciting. Drink the wine in Tuscany. Took the train to Monaco and passed by Eze. Should have stopped!

We did this cruise in November and had the best vacation of our lives! Be prepared as this cruise is port intensive. You will be out touring all day everyday except for the one sea day. Go to the NCL roll call section of Cruise critic and find your cruise. Jump in with the fellow posters. We were able to put together private tours in each city with other roll call members. We used RomeinLimo and can't recommend them enough! These tours are much more affordable if you can get a group together of 8 total people. The tour operators will book your tour around what sites you want to see. You can pack a lot more in when you are not waiting for a bus full of people. Be aware that there are sometimes train strikes in Italy, usually well published in the Italian papers ahead of time.

Also you should go to Cruise Critic port site and read up on the different places you will be going. Pack smartly and be aware that there are pickpockets. Get a wallet that goes under your clothes (about $7. at Target) and keep your valuables (money, passport, credit cards)in there while you are traveling about. Some of the pickpockets are small children.

Enjoy your cruise! Wish I was going back!

Start reading the Mediterranean board on here and take notes. Also join your roll call and see if there our others out there that you can book small group excursions with.

We have done three Mediterranean cruises - our first one was also our first ever cruise, so we were nervous about doing excursions on our own. We did end up joining some people from our roll-call for a couple of excursions, but mostly did the ship tours. This last trip on the GEM we did most of the ports on our own using trains/buses thanks to all of the amazing info we got on the Mediterranean board here. Just start reading, the more tips you get the more confident you will feel about doing it on your own.

What time of year are you going? That will play a factor with the crowds and how much you may be able to see in one day?

Malta - you can walk to the Old Town and easily spend a whole day there walking around from sight to sight. St. John's Co-Cathedral, the Palace Armoury, the Barraka Gardens.

Naples - We found it very easy to do the hyrodfoil to Capri on our own. Did not see anyone get sick. I'm sure the weather is a big factor if the seas are rough or not. I would also recommend any tour along the Amalfi coast.

Livorno - You can find lots of information on taking the train to see Florence and Pisa.

Monaco/Eze/Nice are all beautiful places to visit. You can't go wrong with whatever you choose!

Archived