Miracle/ Glory or Golden Princess

crisp1

I posted on Princess board also. As you can see, we have 5 CCL cruises under our belt. On the last one, our son brought along his friend ( they're 16). This time his parents want to come along with their daughter (13), and they have never cruised. I like the Golden's itinerary, but I wonder if the western cruise will be better for them/daughter. They're the 'casual' type (so am I usually- but I got my tux!). Any suggestions/help? Thanks.

I'm not sure what either of those ship's itineraries are, but let me put in my two cents...

My hubby and I are definitely "casual types" and loved, loved, loved Princess on our first cruise. The Golden is a Grand-class ship, so it will be similar to the Sapphire, which we sailed on, with few exceptions.

I felt Princess gave the quintessential cruising experience - passengers have the ability to really play it up and make it as super-formal and elegant as they wish...or as casual as they wish without feeling out of place. Sure, we dressed up on formal night and wore appropriate clothing in dining rooms at all times, but I was so pleased with the ability to really just enjoy the cruise as you made it. Princess's Personal Choice - that's definitely what it was for us.

However, as you can see, I'm going on the Carnival Pride in the spring. I've never been on Carnival, so I can't comment quite yet, but I am a little leery about taking my mom and my best friend for their first cruise on Carnival. I know that Carnival will provide a great cruising product and we will all have a great time--I'm just afraid they won't get that opportunity for an elegant cruising experience we got on Princess...though I could be wrong. I'm looking forward to it, nonetheless and hope to be able to praise Carnival as much as we love Princess.

I have sailed on the Carnival Jubilee, Grand Princess, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Glory, and in a few weeks the Carnival Holiday. All the cruises I have been on have had the "elegant cruising experience". depending on what mood you are in, you can either have an "elegant" or "casual" cruising experience! I loved both lines equally, and I wouldn't hesitate to sail on either of them. A cruise is really what you make it. IMHO, there are not different "classes" of people on different lines. Each cruise has many different races, colors, cultures etc. Also IMHO there are no "elegant" cruises on one line and "non-elegant" cruises on another line. Remember, all cruise lines must be doing something right, there are more full ships these days then ever before, so enjoy your cruise, no matter which one you book, you will have a fabulous time!!

Thanks Jimbug and Myangel. The Golden's ininerary is St Thomas, St Kitts, Granada, Caracas and Aruba, with just one day at sea. The Glory is cruising to Key West, Belize, Cozumel and Progresso with 2 days at sea. From my experience CCL is 'what you make it' with some folks very casual, to 'neat', to very formal ( I bought my tux for #4- the New Years cruise). There are 2 things that concern me. One, if the ininerary (Golden) is a bit much for the first time cruisers, and how will their 13 yr old daughter do. From past experience CCL does real well with that age ( plus there is always a ton of kids). How about Princess? From what I've read, there seems to be fewer kids on board ( this could be a good or a bad thing). Thanks for the input.

I've sailed on RCL, CCL, NCL and Celebrity. I'm taking my first cruise with Princess next month. I enjoy sailing a variety of lines and don't think you can go wrong with either choice. However, in your case, I would think that the children would enjoy themselves more on Carnival. The other thing to keep in mind (don't know when you are planning this trip for) is that Grenada has suffered extensive damage from the hurricanes. Most sailings are currently being cancelled to this port. Caracas Venezuela is a port often skipped also due to "political unrest" on the island. Depending upon when you travel, the situation may change for both these ports. However, I might lean towards Carnival in this instance because all of those ports are "stable".

Archived