post stay q!

redrdeo

We stayed at the Hilton for 3 days post cruise in May. It is a beautful hotel, but a little off the beaten track. If you want to walk to the main drag in Waikiki its a good twenty minute walk. Its actually quicker to walk down the beach.

If you get a chance, rent a car and drive around the island. You will be missing so much if you stay in Waikiki. My son works in Kailua, so we met him there and rented kayaks for the afternoon. You can kayak over to some small islands off the beach.

Pearl Harbor and the Cultural Center are must dos. We wanted to go to the Bishop museum, but didn't make it there. I have heard that is a must also.

Oh, and eat at Tiki's or Dukes if you get a chance. Both are really good. For breakfast, we walked over to Denny's each morning.

And, for gifts to take home you must pick up some "Crazy Shirts" and Kona coffee glazed macadamia nuts.

Nancy

Also if you aren't interested in adventuring on your own, the Hilton has an Activities desk that has an abundance of tours and things to do for all tastes. W used them to book a couple of tours - parasailing and a morning hike up Diamond Head.

The hotel itself was HUGE! The restaurants were extremely expensive, though - I guess most of Waikiki is this way. And the hotel was very easy to get to the beach.

If you are there on a Friday night, watch the free fireworks show. There are two options--virtually free and totally free. For a one drink minimum you can sit in a chair around the main pool and watch a pretty good Hawaiian show and have front row seats for the fireworks. Or, for totally free, go down a little early and sit on the sea wall for an awesome view of the fireworks. Check with the activities desk; they vary show times to coincide with sunset.

One relatively low cost dining option is the Round Table Pizza hidden in the hotel grounds.

Enjoy Hawaii!

Hotel is on the beach. There are many towers and some of them are further away from the beach than others, but you only have to walk across the resort complex. Our particular tower was directly on the beach - you walked out the back on to the sand.

We also found the Round Table Pizza in the shopping complex. Close by was the Crazy Shirts T-shirt store - great place for souvenirs.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who stayed at the hilton ( I assume you are talking about Hilton Hawaiian Village) was the hotel relatively quiet? I have heard that at many hotels in waikiki you hear lots of street noise.

The hotel is at one end of the strip. Good, because I didn't notice noise. Bad, because it was harder to get to stuff. It was really a nice hotel. Lots of amenities and I imagine that you could spend your whole vacation there and be happy. Of course, you would miss out on a lot of cool excursions that way...

Archived