Aruba Southcoast

TreeCity

Has anyone dove the southcoast of Aruba? I was signing up with a dive company and they sent a list of requirements inorder to qualify to dive the southcoast because of the currents and top side conditions. So I am wondering how bad are the currents down below and the conditions for entering and exiting the boat. (Will be there mid March.):confused: Thanks for any help or recommendations

Has anyone dove the southcoast of Aruba? I was signing up with a dive company and they sent a list of requirements inorder to qualify to dive the southcoast because of the currents and top side conditions. So I am wondering how bad are the currents down below and the conditions for entering and exiting the boat. (Will be there mid March.):confused: Thanks for any help or recommendations

The current is very strong there. If for example you do the plane dive, if you don't descend rapidly or have problems equalizing forget it. You'll have to abort the dive. There is no way you can fight the current there. Even picking people up can be a problem because of where they might have drifted during their safety stop. One time we actually were picked up by a different company's boat. Once we were transferred to our original boat, we had difficulty finding the other divers. Bring your own safety sausage and a dive altert. Don't expect an anchor line or a descent line.

The water is also colder than off of Palm Beach. In July, some people were using both a full 3mm and a shorty, although you could probably get away with 3mm if you're a little tolerant of the cold. Overall, would rate the dives as similar to a drift dive in Cozumel, but with more intense current and top side conditions.

But, once you get on a South Coast bound boat, bear in mind that the major will rule on where exactly you go. For that reason, you should be prepared to do the most extreme dive. So, I would suggest that the dive only be done if you are experienced or at least having gone through an Advanced course.

Archived