Please review our plans for the day.

LounVal

I was hoping someone with experience of the island can review the plan for our day there. So, here goes.

There will be 4-6 of us. We will rent a car and take 30 out to Fortuna Rd. I understand you can take that to Bordeaux Hill then turn around and take it back to 301 to 33 onward to 37 and 40 to Drakes Seat. Then take route 35 down to Magens Bays. Enjoy Magens Bay for a bit then go on to Coki Beach for some snorkeling. From there head back to Charlotte Amalie return the car and walk about town and take the tram until it is time to get back to the ship.

My questions.

Not including the stops at the beaches,how long would this drive around the island take?

Second, is there anything I should take into consideration I may not have thought of???

Lastly, is it correct rental cars are available at the pier??

I was hoping someone with experience of the island can review the plan for our day there. So, here goes.

There will be 4-6 of us. We will rent a car and take 30 out to Fortuna Rd. I understand you can take that to Bordeaux Hill then turn around and take it back to 301 to 33 onward to 37 and 40 to Drakes Seat. Then take route 35 down to Magens Bays. Enjoy Magens Bay for a bit then go on to Coki Beach for some snorkeling. From there head back to Charlotte Amalie return the car and walk about town and take the tram until it is time to get back to the ship.

My questions.

Not including the stops at the beaches,how long would this drive around the island take?

Second, is there anything I should take into consideration I may not have thought of???

Lastly, is it correct rental cars are available at the pier??

The roads on St. Thomas are very hilly and full of hairpin turns. You will also need to drive on the left in an American car. You'll see signs in tourist areas reminding you of that. One good way of remembering to stay to the left is to "keep your shoulder to the shoulder". You'll see signs with that printed on it in touristy areas as well. That said, you need to make sure that you have one person as designated co-pilot whose job it would be to make sure the driver keeps his/her shoulder to the shoulder. :p

Regarding the area you're talking about driving to (Fortuna Road to Bordeaux): when we rented a car there on a land-based vacation we were cautioned to not drive there by our rental agent. He point-blank stated that we'd be liable for any losses incurred if we ventured there. Apparently there's an unsavory section somewhere in that area where some of his customers had encountered problems. I'm only telling you what this guy said to us. We have several folks who on this board who live on the island who can best advise you on whether or not to head that way.

Archived