SS Sky Wonder? The last steaming cruise ship ever built?

Dear CC,

I was looking to book on a classical stmear before the type of ship is out and wanted to take a cruise on the last great steamer ever built the 1984 SS Sky Wonder of Pullmantur. However the ship is off their websites but I have not found absloutly 0 information about what may be her fate. I am now booked on the SS Oceanic, the ship which got me into crusing in the first place however I was wondering what is happening with the SS Sky Wonder? She is only 25 years old surely way way to young to arrive at Alang Luxury Liner Destruction Co.?

Sky-Wonder-20060813-Dubrovnik-030_900.jpg

According to Cruise Industry News:

Pullmantur’s itinerary plans for the 1,200-passenger Sky Wonder are still undecided.

The vessel, which is not included in the company’s most recent 2009 brochure, is still part of the Pullmantur fleet, a spokesperson said, adding that the company is “evaluating various alternatives”.

Announced: 1/22/09 - Pullmantur Sails West With ‘Pacific Dream’ Pullmantur will start sailing from Acapulco on May 10 with a 47,000-ton vessel that it intends to call the Pacific Dream.

The ship will carry 1,900 passengers, which will in turn bring nearly 60,000 passengers to the port in 2009. The Dream will be doing approximately 30 sailings between May and December.

As for specifically which ship will be used as the Pacific Dream, both Sky Wonder and Island Star are roughly the same tonnage and passenger capacity (based on maximum capacity), so either might be used as the Pacific Dream.

The seven-day Acapulco cruises will begin in late June, and call at Ixtapa (Zihuatanejo), Manzanillo (where she will also embark passengers), Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas. There will be nearly 50 cruises through May 2010.

Hope this helped-

J&S

P.S. You're right, Oceanic IS the most beautiful ship afloat!

Oceanic08.jpg

We sailed on her twice, while she was with Princess as Sky Princess.

4-97, Osaka Japan to Vancouver BC via Pusan, Vladivostock, and the Aleutians Islands. 19 nights.

9-00, San Francisco to Sydney, AU, via Hawaii, Marshall Islands, Marianas, Carolines. 27 nights.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Lord Nelson never signed the charter and subsequently went bankrupt;

Kyma's website is disfunctional; the latest RCCL annual report still shows

it pending sale(and makes it sound like they will take a big writeoff to get

rid of it). I'd bet on Alang sooner rather than later...

Archived