Tea(the drink, not the meal)

Garn

My wife is a big tea drinker. I've seen a lot of discussion about coffee and soda, but not so much about tea.

It sounds like Iced Tea is available for free. Does anyone know if it's brewed or made from syrup? If from syrup, is "real" iced tea available anywhere?

Second, what sort of selection of hot teas to they have? Is it just Lipton, or is there "good stuff" too? Do they have good tea in the buffet as well?

Thanks!

I don't know how the iced tea is made but I've drank it and it's not too bad. As far as hot tea, you can get several different types in the buffet. We like the Green Tea. You can get tea in the dining rooms as well. And of course you can get tea at Tea at 3:30 every day. That tea is usually just the lipton or whatever brand they use. I don't know if you can ask for any other type.

On my British Isles cruise last year (with many Brits onboard) there was practically mutiny among the Brits over the fact that there was only Lipton tea available. I am not a big tea drinker so Lipton is fine for me, but apparently not okay for those who are "real" tea drinkers.

Not sure about the Ruby, but we had a good selction upon the Tahitian this past October. There were several herbal teas, Bigalow and some brands I didn't recognize - about 10 in all avaialble from the buffet. Never tried to ask for anything other than regular tea in the dining rooms, but i'm sure they would do their best. My suggestion would be that if there is one particular brand you like to just bring it along and not worry about it

I too am only a tea drinker. The iced tea tastes brewed, but I'm not sure. Since I love green tea I usually ask for two bags because it's too weak otherwise. In terms of black tea, I've not been able to get Ceylon tea, just the Lipton stuff which I hate. I'm thinking of packing some of my own since tea bags don't weigh much and don't tale up much room. Frankly I'd rather do that than another pair of shoes LOL!

Not sure about the Ruby, but we had a good selction upon the Tahitian this past October. There were several herbal teas, Bigalow and some brands I didn't recognize - about 10 in all avaialble from the buffet. Never tried to ask for anything other than regular tea in the dining rooms, but i'm sure they would do their best. My suggestion would be that if there is one particular brand you like to just bring it along and not worry about it
On the Emerald Princess the selection was Bigalow teas, including English Breakfast tea, and Lipton.

Our experience in the dining room is that they will either bring you what you ask for from the available selection or will bring a basket with all the options from which you can choose.

I've never seen any Celestial Seasonings brand of tea or Tazo.

Not sure if the ice tea in the dispenser is brewed or not but if I had to guess I would think that it probably uses the same sort of system they use for the coffee ( reconsitituted). At the buffet there is a nice selection of bigelow teas and Lipton as others have mentioned - I have made my own ice tea with the bags for a change of taste.

At the Patisserie they have a selection of fancy tea bags too ( for a charge).

On both the Island and Sea Princess there was a great selection of teas, including Darjeeling and Earl Grey, and a "Plantation Mint" that was a black tea. The iced tea wasn't too great, but I drank it at dinner and didn't mind it there (in the dining room). With a little extra effort, one could make their own iced tea, esp. in the buffet. I was able to put hot tea in the larger plastic drink cups (forgot my big mug!) for a "to go" cup. The Bigelow brand of teas are good because they stay fresh in the foil wrappers. It sounds like Princess was listening when people complained!:)

The iced tea is the syrup kind, but it was pretty good. When I want iced tea I put 2 tea bags in a cup of boiling water, let it steep, and pour it over ice. That way I get the flavor and strength I want. I like my tea strong. On our Diamond Hawaii cruise they didn't have too many teas I liked; they were mostly Bigelow and Lipton, and for decaf all they had was Lipton. On the Diamond Alaska cruise they also had some Good Earth tea, and the peach was terrific. I like Tetley British Blend decaf the best, and I always carry it with me. I take more than enough for the cruise, and I carry only a few bags in my purse so they don't take up much room. The extra cost specialty teas are Revolution brand with lots of flavors; the ginger peach is very good. The Good Earth that you can get in HC is just as good. When my DH gets his brewed coffee at the coffee bar, I'll have the Revolution, but I don't go out of my way for it.

The iced tea is the syrup kind, but it was pretty good. When I want iced tea I put 2 tea bags in a cup of boiling water, let it steep, and pour it over ice. That way I get the flavor and strength I want. I like my tea strong. On our Diamond Hawaii cruise they didn't have too many teas I liked; they were mostly Bigelow and Lipton, and for decaf all they had was Lipton. On the Diamond Alaska cruise they also had some Good Earth tea, and the peach was terrific. I like Tetley British Blend decaf the best, and I always carry it with me. I take more than enough for the cruise, and I carry only a few bags in my purse so they don't take up much room. The extra cost specialty teas are Revolution brand with lots of flavors; the ginger peach is very good. The Good Earth that you can get in HC is just as good. When my DH gets his brewed coffee at the coffee bar, I'll have the Revolution, but I don't go out of my way for it.

I do the same to brew my own tea. Personally I don't even think of the "ice tea" they serve as tea. More of a flavored drink to me. I am a huge tea drinker and would rather go without if it isn't brewed. But maybe I am just fussy... like true coffee drinkers on board.

I am a professional tea drinker - so my colleagues at work say, I have found the tea selection is ok, fruit, herbal, earl grey breakfast etc.

Tea should be made properly in a tea pot with boiling water, not a bag hanging limply made with tepid water, so I ask for a small tea pot from the dinning room, which they always supply and I leave it in the Horizion Court no problem, when I visit I just ask for it, more often than not they make my tea for me and bring the pot to my table. The eccentricity of the British:cool:

I have never done this, but I have heard with the purchase of a coffee card you are offered a special tea called Revolution & you can only get this at the area that makes the special coffee drinks. I have ordered several different flavors & I like the English Breakfast the best.

Revolution Tea | Premium Tea Company

Jan

Thanks for the reply sultan_sfo. I've used the coffee card for our last 4 or 5 cruises, and saw the tea there, just did not want to use a punch for it and didn't ask.

Rob & Becky's mom - that's right, the coffee card is good from cruise to cruise. I have one now with 6 punches left that I will use on our upcoming cruise. I can't remember the cost for sure - somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 +15% for 15 punches

I have never done this, but I have heard with the purchase of a coffee card you are offered a special tea called Revolution & you can only get this at the area that makes the special coffee drinks. I have ordered several different flavors & I like the English Breakfast the best.

Revolution Tea | Premium Tea Company

Jan

I still have a little sealed box with an individual Revolution Earl Grey with Lavender bag . I am 99 % positive I got it on the Grand last year. It was in the coffee station in the Horizon Court.

Really, you can get the Revolution teas if you have a coffee card and it doesn't require a punch? If that is true that is great news to me.

Yes, that's true. It's free if you have the coffee card. I get the brewed coffee for me, and the English Breakfast Revolution tea for my DW at the lobby bar almost every morning when I cruise on Princess. And I use the punches for capuccino or lattes in the dining room.

I still have a little sealed box with an individual Revolution Earl Grey with Lavender bag . I am 99 % positive I got it on the Grand last year. It was in the coffee station in the Horizon Court.

The Earl Grey w/ lavender was not good to me, but it does have a piece of lavender in the tea bag. Love this site. I learn so much:) thanks, Jan

Archived