Multiple Expense Account Question?

ktpc2005

Hi everyone,

I am traveling with my DW and a friend. We are sharing a cabin so we are all on one reservation. My DW and I set up our expense account and I seperated our friend onto his account. He never had the need to get a credit card and now at 27 he is finiding it hard to get one with limited credit history in these economic times. I told him that he can use his debit card, but he is not up for the idea of Carnival putting a hold on his account. The other option is cash, but I would not want him having to carry all that cash until we got on our cruise.

I was wondering so that we can keep our expenses seperate, could I use one of my other credit cards for his account? He would then pay me after the cruise.

Also a followup, we have shareholder OBC. Who do I tell that I want the OBC to go to my expense account and not my friends?

Thanks in advance......

Hi everyone,

I am traveling with my DW and a friend. We are sharing a cabin so we are all on one reservation. My DW and I set up our expense account and I seperated our friend onto his account. He never had the need to get a credit card and now at 27 he is finiding it hard to get one with limited credit history in these economic times. I told him that he can use his debit card, but he is not up for the idea of Carnival putting a hold on his account. The other option is cash, but I would not want him having to carry all that cash until we got on our cruise.

I was wondering so that we can keep our expenses seperate, could I use one of my other credit cards for his account? He would then pay me after the cruise.

Also a followup, we have shareholder OBC. Who do I tell that I want the OBC to go to my expense account and not my friends?

Thanks in advance......

He can also get travelers checks and deposit them just like cash.

I believe each passanger has their own folio number, separating the charges, even if they all go on the same card. Been awhile since I shared and expense account with someone else though. If they still do it that way, his expenses would be separated out easily so could even be on the same credit card.

My experience is an OBC is awarded to the first two persons on the reservation only.

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance......

Have him go to the Purser's Desk and establish his account with cash... in whatever amount.

As his spending nears what he has on deposit he'll be notified to go to the Purser's Desk to add more money or just stop spending...

He can also use traveler's cheques but please make sure that he DOES NOT SIGN them until he's in the Purser's presence...

Just go to the purser's desk when you board and they will separate the charges for you. (We have done this before and they are more than happy to do it for you.)

Also, if you put cash on the account and do not use it all, on the day of disembarking- they will write you a check for the balance.

Just go to the purser's desk when you board and they will separate the charges for you. (We have done this before and they are more than happy to do it for you.)

Also, if you put cash on the account and do not use it all, on the day of disembarking- they will write you a check for the balance.

I am thinking I may put all of us on one account. The reason that we were going to split the account was that I was thinking that we may not be able to tell which purchases were done by each of us. Now that from what multiple people have said I can tell who got what.

One last question, does it say on the original bill they will give who bought what or is that going to be a special request.....

Thanks for the info, only 3 weeks to Mardis Gras and cruising. :)

I am thinking I may put all of us on one account. The reason that we were going to split the account was that I was thinking that we may not be able to tell which purchases were done by each of us. Now that from what multiple people have said I can tell who got what.

One last question, does it say on the original bill they will give who bought what or is that going to be a special request.....

Thanks for the info, only 3 weeks to Mardis Gras and cruising. :)

Just went through these scenarios at Christmas.

You can have all three on the same credit card and all three get their own statement. THis is the normal thing. Just list the credit card on each person's folio/account.

If you tell them to COMBINE all accounts into one, you will get only one statement. (One room did this because of a lot of OBC being put on a minor's account and they were using the same credit card.)

Just went through these scenarios at Christmas.

You can have all three on the same credit card and all three get their own statement. THis is the normal thing. Just list the credit card on each person's folio/account.

If you tell them to COMBINE all accounts into one, you will get only one statement. (One room did this because of a lot of OBC being put on a minor's account and they were using the same credit card.)

That's the answer I was looking for. I am going to do it that, one folio for DW and I and one folio for my friend both under my credit card. We only have the $50 shareholder OBC so I will have them put it on DW and I's folio.

Thanks.

My son's girlfriend is using her debit card...what do you mean they put a "Hold" on the card?

Laurie

They will do a pre-authorization for the amount. The bank will hold/freeze that amount of money. Then the charge goes through and takes money out of the bank account, BUT NOT the frozen money. The hold will eventually be released, could be same day, could be a couple weeks down the road.

Not a good idea to use a debit card unless the person has at least double the amount that will be spent on the S&S account PLUS whatever they will need for regular bills and expenses for a couple weeks after the cruise.

They will do a pre-authorization for the amount. The bank will hold/freeze that amount of money. Then the charge goes through and takes money out of the bank account, BUT NOT the frozen money. The hold will eventually be released, could be same day, could be a couple weeks down the road.

Not a good idea to use a debit card unless the person has at least double the amount that will be spent on the S&S account PLUS whatever they will need for regular bills and expenses for a couple weeks after the cruise.

We bank at Bank of America, our sign and sail account was 1300.00 of that amount Carnival put a hold on less than 400 dollars worth of charges they showed up on my statement as pending charges. On Dec 23rd two days after our cruise eneded, they dropped the pending charges and debited my account for the total amount.

Other posters have stated that all the pending charges showed up and stayed on the account for a period of time after the total bill was debited. This reduces the available balance in someones checking account.

Archived