Best Excursions!

dwillis43

While on St Thomas we have gone to St Johns beautiful Trunk Bay. I saw something on line where you can rent a small dingy and explore on your own....and there is allot to explore. I think next time we may try this if we can get there early from Red Hook.

These won't all benefit the OP, since not all are eastern ports, but it might assist other readers. My all-time favorite excursions include:

Antigua: Booked an excursion through ShoreTrips.com which included a boat trip to Bird Island, snorkeling and kayaking. Bird Island is post card pretty - took about 100 photos; couldn't stop myself. Snorkeling was not spactacular, but also not too crowded to enjoy. Kayaking was hugely fun. Great trip.

Grand Cayman: Buccaneer Catamaran excursion through Captain Brian. Book directly on-line. Google Buccaneer Catamaran, Grand Cayman. You do a brief and average snorkeling stop, followed by a visit to Sting Ray Sandbar. Finally it's on to the barrier reef, for the most amazing snorkeling I've ever done. The catamaran only holds about 30 people, so you're not traveling with a massive crowd of people. You really get the attention you want and it's only $39/pp.

St. John: Not an excursion. I sent for trail maps and a hiking guide and planned out our day. We took a cab/bus to the sugar plantation and hiked the Leinster Trail to the beach. We were accompanied by a wild donkey. There were no more than five other people on the beach. We snorkeled, seeing sting rays, star fish, baby baracuda, etc. The best was finding the sea turtles. They'd actually allow us to swim along with them. Absolutely amazing. Can't way to go back! So much nicer than sitting on a crowded beach at Trunk Bay.

DON'T BOTHER:

Aruba: Booked the semi-submersible, having read that marine life was the highlight of Aruba. Visibility was awful and the marine life was so much prettier in Grand Cayman.

St. Maarten: If you're looking for a hokey pirate boat excursion, the Lord Sheffield is NOT it. We were lucky in that there was a sailing regatta the day we were there, or it would have been a dreadful trip...for a whole lot of money! The snorkeling at the end of the trip was very nice though.

In St John is there a way to get brochures when you get there? We leave March 1st don't think we will have time to get them. How long was your hike and how did you get to Red Hook from the ship?

Archived