Spring break/NCL question

JEDIKNIGHT

Thanks for the replies. Ok, that website is awesome.

NO offense to anyone here, or their fine young adult kids. But I just can't fathom having hoardes of high school/college kids running around day and night on the boat.

One would think that in this economy with rising college costs, kids would be less prone to spring break vacations.

No need to apologize. You are right. We just completed a 10 day cruise on the Gem Jan. 14. For whatever reason, there were large numbers of young adult kids on the ship. For the first 3 nights, they were in the vestibule near the stairs yelling, cursing, and in general being very loud. On the third night of this we called security, and 10 minutes later it got very quiet. There were no more problems after that night. The funny part is, we were told that if they were in their cabin there was nothing the ship could do about it. Boy, that's encouraging. :eek:

I thnk that you are in luck. Check this site:

http://www.tripsmarter.com/panamacity/springbreak/sbcalendar2.htm

your week only shows about 600,000 college students out... the week before was 2.4 million!!

Great! That's my week cruising (3/16). And, I'm travelling with 2 small kids. I hate for them to see or hear something they shouldn't know about for another 15 years!

Does anybody know if March 21st starts off a big Spring Break week, vis a vis college and high school?

Most likely I'm going on Gem on Mar 21st.

Most of the college crowd will be back in class by then, but the high schools, this is all over the place. Some kids get out the first week of March and others not til the week after Easter...You certainly are going to have many high school kids on your cruise, lets hope they behave themselves....

BTW,we used to live in NO. Va...

Nita

"Most of the college crowd will be back in class by then, but the high schools, this is all over the place. Some kids get out the first week of March and others not til the week after Easter..." LOVELY!!!

"You certainly are going to have many high school kids on your cruise, lets hope they behave themselves...." OH NO.

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away. Sorry, just don't have faith in them. I know I'll be flamed for saying it, but i'd rather be on a cruise with, well, anyone. '

You lived in Nova? Cool. I assume you're in NM now. Probably don't miss the traffic too much eh?

We are cruising on the Spirit beginning March 29th for Chris' 40th birthday. I hope the ship isn't full of kids as well. The latest reports on CC indicate that the "children" are running wild around the ships at all times of day or night. Lord, let's hope not. I'm going to have to deal with my in-laws and that is enough stress for me.:)

"Most of the college crowd will be back in class by then, but the high schools, this is all over the place. Some kids get out the first week of March and others not til the week after Easter..." LOVELY!!!

"You certainly are going to have many high school kids on your cruise, lets hope they behave themselves...." OH NO.

The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away. Sorry, just don't have faith in them. I know I'll be flamed for saying it, but i'd rather be on a cruise with, well, anyone. '

You lived in Nova? Cool. I assume you're in NM now. Probably don't miss the traffic too much eh?

Actually we do not live in NM. We left VA in the late 80s and located to Dallas to watch our grandkids grow up. As we reached retirement age we decided they were too busy to really care where gma and gdad lived so we ventured to NM. After 7 years we decided we were too far from them and their parents, plus NM and us didn't agree on some issues so here we are in NWA. Ice storms and all, we love it. But that is off the subject I would say..

MsBelp, it seems kids are running wild on all the cruise lines, you are right. The management isn't doing anything to control the darlings and certainly the parents don't think they need to interfer with Suzi and Tommy's fun vacation. (sorry if someone has a child named Suzi or Tommy) this is just 2 names I picked out...LOL

Nita

Jedi~I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Easter is the 12th of April this year. Like I said above, most school districts in the NY/NJ area have their spring breaks the weeks before or after Easter. Since our schools go until the end of June, they try to keep the spring breaks in April. I'm sure you'll have some children on your sailing, but not nearly as many as a ~real~ spring break cruise. I've cruised out of NYC the past 3 years (all spring cruises) and have never experienced any problems with rowdy teens.

MsBelp, it seems kids are running wild on all the cruise lines, you are right. The management isn't doing anything to control the darlings and certainly the parents don't think they need to interfer with Suzi and Tommy's fun vacation

*Sigh* kids areas and swimming polls are one thing. But when we were kids, and acted up at a restaurant or a hotel lobby or something, we certainly knew not to do it again.

But then again, these days when I meet a member of the text-message generation at a retail store, or when they apply for a job, they can't even look you in the eye and have a conversation.

Yeah, I'd pay extra for a no-teenie-bopper cruise. :)

I know our daughter is off for spring break starting March 21, that's about 40,000 young adults from the University of Illnois out there having fun:eek::eek:

While there are some schools off that week, the vast majority of colleges are off the two weeks prior. I used to live down by Panama City Beach, FL and can tell you from experience the first two weeks were an absolute zoo:eek: By week 3, things started to get really quiet. You'd still see an occasional college student, but nothing compared to the first 2 weeks;)

Thanks KerCar.

You don't know how soothing that was to read.

And thanks to board members for thus far not flaming me.

I've come out of the closet as having teen-o-phobia.

No prob;) Enjoy your cruise! Be sure to come back and tell us how you liked it:)

We are going on Spring Break on NCL on March 9 on the Sky.... just a heads up to people who havent booked yet... and as far as the economy and spring break goes, i dont think it will effect it that much.. a cruise is still the cheapest route to go for spring break.

i dont think it will effect it that much.. a cruise is still the cheapest route to go for spring break.

Actually, I do think it will effect it. Maybe not as much as the adults on this board (myself included) wish, but I happen to know many college and grad students who are going home to visit their parents for Spring Break this year instead of doing the fun crazy vacation because they simply can't afford it.

SamG...I see you're going March 9 on the Sky. Do you think that most Spring Breakers are more likely to choose the 4-nighter than the 3-nighter, simply because it's one extra day (and often less money or the same price) and you're off during the week anyway? That's my hope at least, because I'm on the 3-nighter (disembarking from the Sky on March 9).

I guess we could have chosen a different time to go, but we wanted to be on the ship during our actual 5th anniversary. We're stuck with Spring Break for our anniversary trips, though, because we got married during Spring Break (of our 3rd year of law school...it was the only time that would work for all our friends and family).

I am 22 years old and I will be going on the NCL Jewel out of Miami on March 15th.

As you are 22 years old and therefore considered an adult, I trust you know how to behave and wouldn't prove a problem. I hope you have a grown-up, wonderful cruise; something you can tell your children about in a few years.:)

Actually, I do think it will effect it. Maybe not as much as the adults on this board (myself included) wish, but I happen to know many college and grad students who are going home to visit their parents for Spring Break this year instead of doing the fun crazy vacation because they simply can't afford it.

SamG...I see you're going March 9 on the Sky. Do you think that most Spring Breakers are more likely to choose the 4-nighter than the 3-nighter, simply because it's one extra day (and often less money or the same price) and you're off during the week anyway? That's my hope at least, because I'm on the 3-nighter (disembarking from the Sky on March 9).

I guess we could have chosen a different time to go, but we wanted to be on the ship during our actual 5th anniversary. We're stuck with Spring Break for our anniversary trips, though, because we got married during Spring Break (of our 3rd year of law school...it was the only time that would work for all our friends and family).

We decided on the 4 nighter because it was a cheap buy.. we got it for 307 pp with our latitudes for inside cabins... i think more spring breaks go on the 4-5 nighters because it takes up the whole week, and you can go to miami the weekend before/after and have spring break there too...

as far as the other comment about the economy... here in atlanta, its tradition to go on a cruise fro spring break in the indian community.. last year were aboard the jewel on march 9 and we had about 60 cabins... this year is far smaller my group only has 8... but it is because we didnt tell everyone we were going on this cruise.... i hope they dont find out ;)

No need to apologize. You are right. We just completed a 10 day cruise on the Gem Jan. 14. For whatever reason, there were large numbers of young adult kids on the ship. For the first 3 nights, they were in the vestibule near the stairs yelling, cursing, and in general being very loud. On the third night of this we called security, and 10 minutes later it got very quiet. There were no more problems after that night. The funny part is, we were told that if they were in their cabin there was nothing the ship could do about it. Boy, that's encouraging. :eek:

Hi George!

The reason the 'young adults' were on the ship was the same reason Tony & I were on the same cruise. It's semester break :cool: for colleges.

Archived