What to do you do if your ship is late to a port?

breeding

Someone just posted that the NCL Wind had problems this last cruise and they missed the Fanning Island port and were late to every other port. That post popped many questions into my head. I'm a brand new cruiser and we don't leave until June first on the Wind so I'm sure the engine will be fixed by then. Our family has spent many nights looking over all the things to do at each port and finally have it sort of narrowed down to just a few. During the holidays we are going to be discussing with other family members what we are doing and if we have chosen to rent a car and do something on our own or a ship excursion. Now my question - what happens if you don't make a port on time. I asked the NCL board if the excursions were refunded. Is there any way to rent a car after you get to any of the ports and how long would that take? What could we do just on foot? We are not shoppers so other than shopping! Is there snorkeling or things to do just by walking at any of the ports? I don't care what we see this is so exciting and I am learning sooooo much from these boards I'm going to have a blast no matter which way things turn out. Thanks for any advice!!

Regarding excursions, if you are booking independently, ask if there is a deposit in advance and what the policy is if you're a no-show. If you book through the ship, you won't be charged for excursions missed because the ship can't make port.

Regarding the car rental: a car is really a must. There are shopping venues near where the tender docks in Lahaina and Kona. At Kona, there is a bus that would take you to a nearby snorkeling beach. There is great bus service all over the island on Oahu. On Kauai and at Hilo, you would need a car to get to anything great. Most will advise that a rental car is great unless you plan to do excursions that take up most of your time in port.

Definitely reserve a car. It is held with a credit card - you are not charged until/unless you rent the car. It would be the decent thing to call and release the hold on the car if you can but not necessary and not always possible.

This will go far easier than you think. It is good to have realistic expectations. Too many don't and get upset when Mother Nature won't let a ship safely make a port.

Never been to Fanning Island but going to that port would make me consider NCL (as it's the only line going there). It sounds idyllic.

Sammy

Archived