Drop off at POM

Wildcatllamas

I was wondering how much trouble it will be for me to drop my DH off at the POM and then take my rental car to the airport? We are staying in Fort Lauderdale and thought it would be nice to have a rental car to go sight seeing but then got to thinking that it might be a real headache to drop him off with the luggage, take the car to MIA and then catch a shuttle back to the port.

Any suggestions or ideas on this one?

Barb

Too far to go back to the airport to drop off the rental car, unless you have plenty of time on your hands. Is he just going to wait for you at the entrance to your cruise line or is he planning on checking in on his own and once you arrive back at the POM you will do a separate check in?

You are probably talking about a good 1 - 2 hour process all together. (Dropping him off at the POM, driving back over the bridge and to the airport and then waiting and taking a paid shuttle to the POM for yourself). Is there a rental drop off closer to the POM for your car rental company? Maybe one in downtown Miami instead?

The car I have reserved is with Thrifty so an airport drop off. My DH gets "restless" so going to the airport and unpacking all the luggage and then catching the Thrifty shuttle to the port clearly wasn't going to be a good fit for him. So that was why I thought to drop him off first. But if I let him check in on his own - well that could be real scary :eek:. This is a man who washed the electric coffee maker in the dish washer and then wondered why it didn't work anymore.

So now I am thinking just use the rental car to sight see and then return it before we leave the Hyatt Place and then find a shuttle service from the Hyatt to POM. Any suggestions on shuttle.

Barb

We did this last week, but we rented a car from Hertz at MIA and we stayed across the street from Bayside (right near the Port of Miami). Hertz has a return location just a few blocks from the port. I drove my husband and all the luggage over to the port, returned the car to Hertz and took a cab back for $8.00. They did have a free shuttle - but it appeared there would have been a long wait because there were a lot of people with a lot of luggage ahead of me. But it only took me about 20 minutes max to drop off husband, drop off car and get back to the port. It all worked out really well! And I loved staying so close to Bayside with the restaurants and shopping the night before and then waking up cruise morning and looking out the window from the hotel and seeing our ship waiting for us!

We did this last week, but we rented a car from Hertz at MIA and we stayed across the street from Bayside (right near the Port of Miami). Hertz has a return location just a few blocks from the port. I drove my husband and all the luggage over to the port, returned the car to Hertz and took a cab back for $8.00. They did have a free shuttle - but it appeared there would have been a long wait because there were a lot of people with a lot of luggage ahead of me. But it only took me about 20 minutes max to drop off husband, drop off car and get back to the port. It all worked out really well! And I loved staying so close to Bayside with the restaurants and shopping the night before and then waking up cruise morning and looking out the window from the hotel and seeing our ship waiting for us!

Yes, but you are talking about Bayside, right by the POM. The poster is talking about dropping off her husband at the POM, then heading to Miami International Airport to drop off the car and then taking a shuttle back to the Port of Miami, that is a totally different picture, a lot of time involved.

Why don't you rent a car from another agency that has a drop off somewhere in downtown Miami, or the one this poster mentioned, Hertz and then just take a cab back to the Port of Miami (or their shuttle if available at the time). This would probably save you $ in the long run anyways.

Thanks so much for the help. I will look at Hertz.

Barb

Hi,

We are staying at Hollywood beach prior to our cruise and have rented a car from hertz. I plan to drop off my DW and check in our luggage then skip back to the Hertz HLE Downtown location and jump the Shuttle which takes about 5 mins, I think Thrifty have a Depot on Biscayne Blvd

Thrifty Car Rental ·

(305) 374-2777 ·

244 Biscayne Blvd, Miami

Try and change your drop off to this location rather than MIA.

Have a great cruise

i have a one way rental from budget from mia airport. i'll be dropping it off near the port. i don't think there is a shuttle, but a cab won't cost much.

i'd certainly look at changing your reservation. we originally had the same delimma as you, but switched and solved the problem. if you call some of them online, they tell you you cannot rent it one way, but then they instruct you to go online, and if it allows you to and gives you a confirmation #, then you are fine.

good luck, and have fun. keep hubby away from the railings...i hope he don't fall in lol....i loved the coffee pot story lol.:)

Archived