Passport Requirements

owtrspace

Does anybody know if a passport is required for the Eastern Carib. itinerary? It is the 10 day making calls in St. Thomas, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Grenada and Martinique. Please advise as I am taking a foster child that I can't get a passport for, yet have court approval for his trip. Princess says no, but I sometimes get conflicting information from them on other issues. Thank you for any feedback.

Does anybody know if a passport is required for the Eastern Carib. itinerary? It is the 10 day making calls in St. Thomas, St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Grenada and Martinique. Please advise as I am taking a foster child that I can't get a passport for, yet have court approval for his trip. Princess says no, but I sometimes get conflicting information from them on other issues. Thank you for any feedback.

The best thing to do is check with the State Department. REgardless you should have some type of Picture ID for the child.

Definitely get a government issued photo ID (usually less than $10 from a Driver's License Bureau). Do check out the State Department website on traveling abroad with minors. And this is the site I use for checking on each country's requirements:

http://www.zvs.com/site/Misc/countries

Hope that helps!

I dont know about princess but this is from RCCL and I imagine the requirements are the same. I couldnt find anything on the princess website.

Make sure you also bring the court documents with you allowing you to take the child with you.

Important: Royal Caribbean domestic sailings are all sailings originating and ending in ports located in the U.S., Canada and Mexico including Panama Canal sailings. All other sailings are considered to be international sailings. These include itineraries in Europe, South America and Australia/New Zealand including re-positioning sailings originating or ending in their ports. U.S. citizens traveling on our international sailings are required to have valid passports.

Domestic Sailing Requirements:

U.S. Citizens: A passport (valid or expired) is highly recommended as it will speed-up your check-in formalities as well as your departure procedures with government officials (if you would like to find out how to obtain a passport, you can do so at the U.S.Department of State Passport Services and Information website). In the absence of a passport, a birth certificate (original, notarized copy or certified copy), plus a picture ID card issued by a federal, state or local government agency is required. A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship. Children under 16 years of age do not require a picture ID. Visas are not required for U.S. citizens.

The cruise line may not care, but airport officials often ask for a letter or document of approval for accompanying a minor. The letter needs to be notarized. I assume the same is true for a court document.

A raised seal birth certificate and government issued photo ID is all that's required for a Caribbean cruise. You can get a photo ID for the child at your driver's license bureau. Again, airport officials may ask for to see the child's photo ID. They certainly do when we travel with our eleven year old grandson.

From Princess Cruise Line:

CHECK YOUR DOCUMENTS IN ADVANCE

Each passenger is responsible for presenting correct and valid travel documents at cruise check-in. To assist you in your planning, we’ve provided you with a list of some important items.

Cruise Personalizer

In advance of your cruise, take the time to visit your Cruise Personalizer to confirm your booking is complete. Ensure your name appears exactly as shown in your passport. If the name does not match, it is important that you contact Princess Reservations Department at 1-800-PRINCESS or your Travel Agent to correct this information. Also, verify your passport details and emergency contact information are complete and correct.

Passport Requirements

Many countries require that your passport be valid six months from the completion of your travel. Check your passport to ensure that it will be valid for this period of time. Additionally, ensure that your passport contains blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any visas that may be required. If necessary, allow sufficient time renew your passport and/or obtain additional pages.

A valid passport is required of all non-U.S. and non- Canadian citizens for all intineraries.

A valid passport is required of all U.S. and Canadian citizens sailing on non-domestic itineraries including Africa, Asia, Europe, India, South America and South Pacific.

U.S. and Canadian citizens are not required to travel with a passport when sailing on domestic itineraries including Alaska, Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico, Panama Canal and Canada/New England. Please note, however, that a passport is the recommended form of identification and unquestionably proves your citizenship. U.S. and Canadian citizens not in possession of a passport are required to present proof of citizenship. Acceptable proof of citizenship includes a naturalization certificate or a certified birth certificate together with valid, government- issued photo identification, such as a driver’s license. Although recommended, photo identification is not required for those 18 years and younger. U.S. Resident Aliens are required to present, in addition to a valid passport, a valid Alien Resident Card. On domestic cruises, ensure that your travel documents are valid through the completion of travel.

Visas

Verify whether any visas will be required for your cruise or cruisetour program. Visa requirements for U.S. and Canadian citizens are provided in the pre-cruise information letter with this packet. All other nationalities are responsible for verifying visa requirements for each port visited during the cruise.

Inoculations

Information regarding required inoculations for your cruise or cruisetour program is provided in the precruise information letter with this packet.

IMPORTANT: Visa and documentation requirements vary by destination and do change from time to time. Be sure to check with your travel agent to verify current regulations.

DOCUMENTS FOR PASSENGERS UNDER THE AGE OF 18

In addition to proof of citizenship, all children must have notarized written consent to travel signed by the non-traveling parent(s) or legal guardian(s) if both parents or legal guardians are not traveling with the child. This written consent must be presented at embarkation and accompany the child during his or her cruise. Children accompanied by only one parent must present a notarized written consent letter signed by the other parent, unless sole legal custody has been granted. In the case of divorce, adoption or other circumstances, the parent or legal guardian is required to present proof of sole legal custody of the child. The passengers may be refused boarding if they are unable to produce documentation that the child may travel with the adults who are present. As these documents must be presented at check-in, please do not submit to Princess in advance of the cruise.

I'm travelling the same itinerary and a passport is not required for those ports of call. Just make sure that you have all the necessary documentation for your foster child. Last year I took my 11 year old niece on a cruise, and I needed a notarized letter from my sister, along with her original birth certificate and government issued photo ID. We had no problems. Have a great time!

Archived