No Akrotiri in 2004

I just received an email from Celebrity/Royal Caribbean saying that all shore tours to Akrotiri (in Santorini) are cancelled. Apparently, there is a restoration project that has been delayed and pushed back to the end of the year (2004), so the site will not be open for visitation.

I'm just passing the info along so everyone can make other plans while in Santorini.

We had booked the Akrotiri site/wine tasting shore excursion through Celebrity and will have to find something else to do.

I'm so disappointed... I was really looking forward to seeing this site!

We booked the same tour. I have not received the email from Celebrity. ???

Janet

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;14;12;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]

Sorry to hear about the tour cancellation. Last year in Santorini we were not able to do the site tour but instead did (on Celebrity) the wine tasting tour which included a visit to the Akrotiri museum in town. Then we took the local bus to Oia which was wonderful. A fun/wild cheap local bus ride. Oia is a miniature of the main city in Santorini and when we were there it was not crowded. Bus ride about 1/2 hour and runs often. Good luck - there is plenty to do - if you are willing be sure and ride the donkeys - I rode them down instead of up. Have a great time.

Thanks for the suggestions, mrssbi.

I am sure we will have a wonderful time in Santorini...Akrotiri or not. It sounds like there is some debate as to whether Akrotiri will be closed this summer or not. (I hope it will be open in June.) As of now, Celebrity has cancelled my tour and it's no longer listed as an excursion option on their website. We'll see what happens...

Archived