Kayaking at Orca's cove

prncsscruiser

Has anyone out there kayaked in Alaska, I was looking at doing it in Orca's cove but some of my travel people also want to do the dog sledding (on land not the glacier). Any kayaking suggestions, location, company (prefer not to book through the cruise). We are going to be there in Middle of June and will be going to Juneau, Ketchikan, and Icy Straight Point, as well as Victoria. Thanks for all of the help!

This is a fantastic scenic kayak location out of Ketchikan. Do NOT expect any wildlife except birds, despite the name. Also, there is no dog sledding tours out of Ketchikan that I know of?? Of your port list, that is only available out of Juneau, with a ship excursion. But do a search for independents http://www.traveljuneau.com

Thank you for the information. This is a difficult decision. We do really want to see some good wildlife. Do many people see whales from their main cruise ship? I am not sure if i can convince the bf to do a whale watching tour, plus i get SEA SICK and those small boats may not be a good combo. There are so many different options, we are also on a budget and cant go crazy with the excursions.

Thank you for the information. This is a difficult decision. We do really want to see some good wildlife. Do many people see whales from their main cruise ship? I am not sure if i can convince the bf to do a whale watching tour, plus i get SEA SICK and those small boats may not be a good combo. There are so many different options, we are also on a budget and cant go crazy with the excursions.

I see whales every cruise. BUT I also spend a great deal of time out on deck which many people just do not want to budget the considerable time for. NECESSARY is a good pair of WIDE Angle binoculars and proper attire. It pays to know your locations a good ship naturalist is worth their weight in gold. :)

However, you will also ALWAYS see me on whale watches, there is no comparism to sightings, with the whale watches, your viewing is much closer and extended. From the ship, you MUST be happy with a 2 minute distant view, for perhaps staying out for a couple hours. Front viewing is necessary for the most success.

With your "sea sick" concerns, I would suggest you also consider this strongly for your cruise. I've seen MANY sick passenger sailing Alaska. Best would be to have preventions in place for your entire trip. But, consult your health care profession for advice.

I am already prepared to get the patches, they work the best for me in preventing sea sickness, especially since we are leaving from SAN FRAN which I hear is VERY rough (a bit nervous). Any way, what port offers the best whale watching. I hear Harv and Marvs is great, maybe we should try them. Thanks for all of your great responses it helps a lot

Archived