Alaska - scarf

suers515

I want to make a scarf for the trip and don't know what kind of yarn would be best. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

It is not going to be below zero, so I would think whatever type yarn you like will work. I never brought a scarf. My turtle necks and jacket collar took care of my neck. If you are going to wear crew necks and your jacket is going to be open around the neck, anything that covers the neck and keeps the cold away should work fine. Like I said, it may be cold, but we are not talking frigid weather.

As others have said, if you're not especially sensitive to the cold, you're not going to need a scarf. However, my mom uses her scarf as a snug headcovering, so that's an option.

If that sounds good, I'd go with a polyester yarn to shed water. A hat or scarf may work out better than a hood on a coat, which tend to block your vision.

Either order yarn before hand, or - for a great souvenir - buy a skein or two of quivit yarn (quivit is spun from the fine undercoat of a musk ox)... it's unbelievably warm, sheds water extremely well, and is about as Alaskan of a product as you can possibly get!

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

Archived