Eden Rock / Devils Grotto Scuba Question

utdivegrl

My group of three are trying to figure out where to dive in Grand Cayman and we are considering the shore dive at Eden Rock and Devils Grotto. This will be our first time to the island. I know a guided shore dive is offered but is Eden Rock and Devil’s Grotto something we could navigate ourselves?

My group of three are trying to figure out where to dive in Grand Cayman and we are considering the shore dive at Eden Rock and Devils Grotto. This will be our first time to the island. I know a guided shore dive is offered but is Eden Rock and Devil’s Grotto something we could navigate ourselves?

All my dives on this site were the second dive of a two tank boat trip and they dumped us off to do it as an unguided shallow dive. The depths are shallow enuf to have someone bounce up for a look see if you really get turned aroound but for the most part....head east and you'll run up on shore :p Cayman usually has little to no current (when there IS current the conditions usually stink all together)

If you want less crowded conditions and same profile head a mile down the road to Sunset House (sunsethouse.com) and libate at My Bar after your dive(s)

It's definitely something you could do yourself but I'd advise taking a compass. The people at Eden Rock will give you a little briefing and show you a map of the area. When I did it I got a little turned around (thus my advice on the compass). As Capt BJ above says, it's shallow enough to do a position check if you need to--but there is some boat traffic around so if you have to come to the surface while you are at a distance from shore you need to be watchful.

I highly recommend Eden Rock. Easy to get to from the ship's tenders, a pleasant place to hang out and a good cheap dive as well.

--Ellen

If you would prefer a better shore dive site - grab a cab and head up to Turtle Reef - a 10-15 minute ride. It is a mini-wall with lots of sea-life (a school of the biggest Tarpon I've ever seen under one of the ledges). There is a restaurant right next door for your surface interval. Diving is easy and well marked - go left one dive and right the next.

It will be much less crowded that either Eden Rock or Sunset House with clearer water.

If you would prefer a better shore dive site - grab a cab and head up to Turtle Reef - a 10-15 minute ride. It is a mini-wall with lots of sea-life (a school of the biggest Tarpon I've ever seen under one of the ledges). There is a restaurant right next door for your surface interval. Diving is easy and well marked - go left one dive and right the next.

It will be much less crowded that either Eden Rock or Sunset House with clearer water.

The good thing about diving at either Eden Rock or Sunset House is that there are on site dive shops to rent gear/tanks.

I know that Divetec used to have a shop at Turtle Reef, but they have moved. The big question: Is there currently a dive shop at/near the entry point for the Turtle Reef dive site for gear rental?

The good thing about diving at either Eden Rock or Sunset House is that there are on site dive shops to rent gear/tanks.

I know that Divetec used to have a shop at Turtle Reef, but they have moved. The big question: Is there currently a dive shop at/near the entry point for the Turtle Reef dive site for gear rental?

Sundivers have taken over and installed a great new ladder which is much easier to use.

They have been very busy repairing the shop and dive prep areas so don't worry, everything seems to be running very smoothly.

Sundivers have taken over and installed a great new ladder which is much easier to use.

They have been very busy repairing the shop and dive prep areas so don't worry, everything seems to be running very smoothly.

Thanks for posting a follow up. It's good to know that there is a dive shop still at turtle reef for shore diving.

Archived