Voyager 18 Jan 09 - Brought to you by Z

As usual, had an awesome time.

Very little mal du debarkment this time, I'm thinking it's because it was a very smooth cruise. Hardly any rocking at all, lovely blue skies, sunny calm weather most of the trip. Contrast this to the 20 foot seas last day of my last cruise and a week of landsickness upon return.

Another surprise - very little drama this cruise. Scott & I have seemed to worked out most the kinks in our relationship. Speaking of Scott, the balcony was wasted on him, prob due to his phobias (heights, bridges, wide open spaces, you name it). I coaxed him out on it briefly, one time.

For the first time, Voyager did look a little worn. Faded carpets, water stained carpets, dents and scratches here and there. Occasional wet spots in hallways that did not seem to go away. Occasional sewer smells. Railings needing varnishing.

And I hate to admit it, I finally have to agree about the food decline. Last year this time food was still good. Last year was still the old menu tho. Complicated by my trying new things instead of sticking to items I knew I liked.

But it was a most excellent cruise. Lengthy review to start shortly. Given the time sink for scanning Compasses, I'm loathe to do this again, but will if submitted to sufficient peer pressure. :p

This is my 7th cruise with Royal Caribbean, second on Voyager. Second time on the Coz-Cayman-Jamaica route.

Left early from southwest Houston, around 9am. Was fairly easy getting to the port, tho a bit of a backup at the light turning into the lot. I grabbed a porter which some dock person tried to take right after but I claimed him. She wasn't happy about it but let it go. Told me I was supposed to wait ("back there" with a wave) in line, I'm like um, where, what line? I'm not sure if she knew I was coming or going. Porter was cool about it.

After we dropped the bags, we got in a line. And waited. And waited some more. There's a wedding party and they all have to get onboard before they let us on. Members of the party keep going in and out and back in. Finally, the last person, the father of the bride (dressed all casual), shows. We're like sheesh, they kept us from checking in a good 30 minutes at least. Check-in was so fast after that I barely had time to grab a glass of complementary champagne on the way to the ship.

Spent a bit of time running around arranging stuff. Guy doing the coke cards wasn't familiar with the mycokerewards card I had. First glitch - romance package wasn't in our room like I was expecting. Card was there saying to call room service. I did and they told me I asked to have the champagne delivered on Monday. Except I didn't and no one asked me this either. They did send up the Dom Perignon and chocolate strawberries, was yummy. Made a spa appointment which I found out later conflicted with the Meet & Mingle so we didn't go. I do believe I passed by the CC group doing their cabin crawl.

Muster drill was announced to be half an hour early as everyone was onboard ahead of schedule. Uneventful but seemingly more disorganized than usual. One couple showed up without lifejackets, another couple was putting adult-sized lifejackets on their kids. They took "roll call" in the station next to ours but no one said anything to our group. Whatever.

Second glitch made me regret talking Scott into buying a cheap camera. During sailaway, it died after the first half dozen pictures. *sigh* Which annoyed him very much so so I put his flashcard in my Canon Powershot and let him use it for the remainder of the cruise (the good news is he took the dead one back to Best Buy and traded it in for a Canon Powershot).

For just today dinner times were changed to 6pm for main and 8:30 for second seating. Only one showtime at 7:45! Was walking down the aisle behind a couple who stopped abruptly, deciding to go back up the stairs. As I deftly diverted around them, the guy snidely comments, "Where's the fire?" :mad: First couple of days people blocking the narrow pathways was common, improving later in the week I guess as more people stay in their rooms and the rest got used to the idea of walking on one side to let others pass. Anyhow.

The show featured Bruce Gold, a comedian. He was very funny. Since the show overlapped dinner (!!) I dragged Scott away before it was over, which he whined about. :( I was drinking a glass of champagne before the show and tried to set the empty down in the cup holder. Except there was no bottom and the glass fell through and broke! OMG, I think that's the worst thing I've done on a cruise! :o

At dinner we were seated at a table for 6 with 2 other couples. Cynthia and another Scott from somewhere in Texas and Bonnie and Darren from New Iberia, LA. Bonnie's a tiny, cute little thing, Darren a big guy. Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera kind of size difference.

I was pleased to find that they had our Wine & Dine info. Since I had 10 bottles of wine, I would share, which made the others happy. Champagne was accepted by everyone, but only Bonnie would take a glass of red wine. I sent a partial bottle back to her cabin one night, as I let her select and it wasn't one I favored so why not.

Our waiter was Antonio from India, a Portuguese influence got his name. Armin was our assistant waiter, didn't note the headwaiter's name, a shame because he was rather attentive and present.

I got the watermelon soup, spinach salad and aloo gobi which prompted inquiries if I was vegetarian. Complained to Antonio that the curry wasn't very spicy. He said it was to cater to the masses and that he'd bring me some sambal next time (he did). For dessert, chocolate and cherry cake which was very good.

Archived