St Thomas in December?

Two@Sea

We are concerned about the water temperature for snorkeling in St Thomas the first week in December. We're from Florida, and the water here is already too cold for us (yes, we're wimps!). Can anybody let us know if we should take our stuff with us, or will we freeze our patooties off? Thanks.

Marsha

The temp there for me in December 2000 at Coki Beach was right at 80 f. I wore my 3mm full and was warm enough. Individual cold tolerances vary quite a bit, so only you will know how much thermal protection you need. I'm going to get a 5mm for water under 79f.

Thanks, Bruce! I'm getting the feeling that it might be too cold for us to snorkel because we don't have wet suits. Dang! Maybe we'll go to Coki anyway, and test the waters for "just in case" it might be tolerable for us.

Marsha

Wow, it always amazes me how different people are when it comes to cold tolerance! I dove in Hawaii in April in a 3mil shorty in 74 degree water, and while in Key Largo this year, just wore my bathing suit in 84 degree water and was warm the entire time. Since we're diving St. Thomas at the end of December and I know the water will be around 80, I plan to wear my 3mil full suit, but I don't think I'd consider a full 5 mil until the water was closer to 70 degrees. I do know someone who wears a 5 mil farmer john in Hawaii to dive, and still isn't "warm"...and this isn't a skinny man! Guess that's why it's impossible to answer when people ask how much exposure protection they should be wearing....

BTW, I did check recently what water temps were in Tortola, and it was still 82 degrees.

Marsha-

I'm heading out on Sunday, and taking my 2-mil. Actually, I wear it year-round here in FL, and when it's too cold for it, I get out of the water! The neat thing about the 2-mil is that I just throw it and the booties in the washing machine when I get home.

I see you're in Sebastian - there used to be a dive shop right around there somewhere on US1 - but it might have been demolished in the last hurricane. You should be able to pick up an inexpensive 2-mil 1 piece somewhere. If your local is flat, maybe try Hatts in Melbourne, or Dixie Divers in Vero. Even Sports Authority might have something. (I work on the Lagoon).

Warm is better & have a great trip!

Wendy

Marsha...we were just in St. Thomas last week (11/15). I did my first dive with just a bathing suit and wore a 3mm shorty, which was almost too much, for the second. You should be just fine for snorkelling in bathing suits.

I hope this helps.:D

fyi to "w&k" and "ladyputt" - Hatts in Melbourne got "sunk" by Jeanne's flooding. They were still not open as of a week ago, but had a sign up about "reopening soon". I was snorkelling this past weekend in the Keys and it was great (other than getting out of the water in the wind), so I think the Carribbean should be ok w/o a wetsuit....and hello from up the beach in Indialantic!

Archived