Driving from Whittier to Seward

karatemom2

We will be doing a B2B cruise on the Diamond Princess this summer and will have a nice long day available for touring in Whittier. We are thinking of renting a car and driving to Seward to do a Kenai Fjord boat tour. Can anyone tell me how long the drive is and if they have done something similar? We are just trying to figure out how to plan our day.

You need to allow 2 hours for the drive, but this probably will NOT work for you??

The Kenai Fjords boat tours, get back around 5:30pm and a little later, you won't likely make the 7:30pm tunnel. And anything later probably is too late for your ship??

I suggest you instead consider the 11am Prince William Sound boat tour to Esther Passage.

You need to allow 2 hours for the drive, but this probably will NOT work for you??

The Kenai Fjords boat tours, get back around 5:30pm and a little later, you won't likely make the 7:30pm tunnel. And anything later probably is too late for your ship??

I suggest you instead consider the 11am Prince William Sound boat tour to Esther Passage.

Thanks BQ, that was another option we were considering. If I can ask one more question because I know you have done all of these excursions and can speak from experience - If you had to choose between a small boat excursion in Prince William Sound, Tracy Arm Fjord and Misty Fjord, which would you choose?

Our itinerary offers us the opportunity to do each of these, but budgetwise we will probably only be able to choose one, maybe two of these trips. What would be your top choice?

My opinion only but for me I grossly prefer Misty Fiords by air. So my preference would be to do the other 2 boat tours. Without a rental car cost, and doing PWS, more funds would be available to you?

If we don't rent a car in Whittier, we will save some dollars that we can apply elsewhere so maybe we can do a PWS boat tour and Tracy Arm Fjord as well. We are a family of four, and since my son is a teen we pay full adult price for him so these excursions get pretty pricey. I really do have my heart set on Tracy Arm Fjord though after getting a brief glimpse a couple of years ago and reading all the reviews about how superior the small boat tours are.

Thanks so much for your advice.

If we don't rent a car in Whittier, we will save some dollars that we can apply elsewhere so maybe we can do a PWS boat tour and Tracy Arm Fjord as well. We are a family of four, and since my son is a teen we pay full adult price for him so these excursions get pretty pricey. I really do have my heart set on Tracy Arm Fjord though after getting a brief glimpse a couple of years ago and reading all the reviews about how superior the small boat tours are.

Thanks so much for your advice.

If you are basing ranking of 3 boat tours, Misty Fiords would still be my last choice of your other two.

Archived